New cheap forks and head set fitted

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello all,
Just a quick update to say my old odesa forks have been shot over the winter. Leaking seals and they finally gave up the ghost on the way back last night on my commute. They basically bottomed out and fatigued and there was that much flex it felt like they where going to snap.

Anyway managed to get my hands on some manitou empire 75mm front suspension forks for a 700c wheel with both v brake and disc compatible. Brand new Inc delivery £45.
I'm sure there are much better forks for weight and travel but anything was going to feel plush compared to my last set. That and they are a bargain brand new at that price.

Forks have the usual lock out and preload adjustment.

Managed to cut the steerer length with a hack saw which took a bit of time and blunted a couple blades doing so.
Whilst doing that I fitted new cups and sealed bearings by fsa model orbit. Which I'll just replace the sealed bearings going forward. But there substantially better than the previous open bearings.

Anyway less chat more pics.

My fav tool in the last picture. The old Tapometer!!

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
"My fav tool in the last picture. The old Tapometer!! "

when I worked on the tools years ago, a hammer was known as "the persuader"

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Very nice looking forks Scotty, and I like the way they match the colour scheme of the bike so perfectly. I never noticed how badly my last headset had worn until I tried turning it with my finger, the rumble was dreadful. I opted for a Cane Creek but I was tempted by the FSA orbit. Sealed cartridge bearings are definitely the way to go. How did you get on fitting the crown race? I chickened out and bought the official tool which will probably never get used again! You definitely need to invest in an adjustable pipe cutter though, they're so much easier than a hacksaw.

D

Deleted member 4366

It looks like they've got nice strong drop-outs for a front motor, but, though that not clear from the photo, the drop-outs don't look like they're fully inboard, which might mean that the normal 250w motors won't fit. Can you confirm that Scotty.and perhaps measure the distance between the legs.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
The gap between them is 105mm which is a little wider than my last fork.
If you was to fit a front motor it would defiantly need the drop outs filing. There very deep as standard though and plenty of material around them.

The fork legs are wider in circumference and much heavier than the last set.

There not bad for budget forks and a front motor is definetly feasible.

The fork colour is a Matt dark purple, my bikes Gray gloss. Could look better but it's a work horse. It's not like it was ever going to win a beauty contest. But thank you!