New commuter

Mikeelawson

Just Joined
Sep 21, 2015
i am after a new commuter and bewildered by choice. Also a decision needs to be made re wait for 2016 Bosch motor. The requirements are:

- budget of 2k or under
- commute of around 7 miles per day all year round (wind rain snow)
- relatively light (in ebike terms)
- will be locked at station so not too expensive
- crossbar
- touring type but ideally on the fast side
- hub (because I want reliability and maintenance freeish)
- hydraulic brakes because I want to stop
- mudguards and panniers

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Locking a £2K Bosch bike at the station every day will almost certainly see it stolen or vandalised.

I don't know your area, but have a look at the other bikes in the station.

They will be push bikes, but I bet they are well-used, cheap, but serviceable - no carbon dream machines.

A secondhand ebike would make some sense.

Alternatively, if the round trip is only seven miles, try an ordinary push bike.

Might be a bit of a struggle to start with, but it's the sort of mileage you could fairly quickly build up to.

If light weight is a priority, a light assist bike such as a Freego Raptor:

http://freegoelectricbikes.com/electric-bikes/FreeGoBike?product_id=158

Reactions: Tomtomato and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Agree with RobF a bike that looks to good will attract the wrong attention left in the same place every day. the battery would have to be removed every day and the carrier it sits on weathered, lcd will get nicked or damaged as some will think its a sat nav or other gizmo. Lock wise you will need two very good ones even then you may not be sure the bike will still be intact.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Some stations are well covered by CCTV, and those that aren't really should be these days...

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, that new Bosch Performance CX 250watt 75nm Motor does seem the business, if that's the one the OP mentions.

As for IGH, that could be an issue with such a high Torque Motor, the IGH of choice for most of the Crank Drive Ebike makers seems to be the Shimano Alfine 11, which the CX Motor will no doubt chew up in no time.

Of course the Rohloff SpeedHub or Nuvinci 360 IGH will be able to cope with the Torque, upto 100nm with the Rohloff and even more for the Nuvinci 360.

Even the info from Bosch does not recommend the CX Motor for IGH, in fact the highest Torque Motor that Bosch recommend for IGH hub is the Bosch Performance Cruise 250watt 50nm model.

My plan is to get an Ebike with the Bosch CX Motor, and retro fit a Rohloff SpeedHub, I already ride an ordinary bicycle fitted with a Rohloff SpeedHub, had that since 2004 and I have to say it is brilliant, but I am now looking into buying my first Ebike.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
If you really want to lock it at a train station, I would advise to get something that does not look like an ebike, i.e. motor not visible (hub), removable battery, display removable etc.

Unfortunately, only Bosch does a removable display.

If it was my choice, I would just get a cheap Woosh bike, and have good insurance.

CCTV has actually very little effect on preventing crime. Most people don't seem to care that what they do is recorded. It's only useful after the crime/theft is done, to try to identify people.