New controller required

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
managed to open the pas , whats inside means nothing to me , i guess the 2 black bits are the hall sensors , is there anyway i can do what you said without a resistor
Visually, it look good. Surface mount parts. The ones marked R1 and R2 are the pull down resistors. You can now test it with a single magnet. The two bigger black rectangles are the hall sensors. Test between ground and each signal wire. Without a magnet present, both signal wires should be zero volts. Bring the magnet to one, and you should see the signal switch to near 5v. It'll probably be pole sensitive, so flip the magnet if it doesn't work. Also it could be the opposite way round - held at 5v then pulled down to 0v when switched by the magnet.

If you get the same result as before, either a hall is faulty or one of the resistors. All the resistors do is conduct between ground and the signal wire. That's why I suggested manually adding one. They work by draining away the residual charge in the hall sensor after it's switched off. Without doing that, the signal wire stays high. When switched on, the charge coming in the 5v wire is massively more than what drains through the resistor, but the charge left behind when it switches off is tiny, so quickly dissipates through the resistor to ground.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Benjahmin

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
From the photo, it looks to me like there is a slither of wire that is shorting blue to green inside the pas sensor. That could be a problem.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
From the photo, it looks to me like there is a slither of wire that is shorting blue to green inside the pas sensor. That could be a problem.
I looked at that, but when I zoomed in, it looked too thin. On a second look, it could be a contamination wire, so at least clean it off.

pricer592

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2022
Cleaned the sensor off I think it was fluff rather than a piece of wire , tried the magnet test still the same as in green wire alternating voltage and blue wire 3.8v constant

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Cleaned the sensor off I think it was fluff rather than a piece of wire , tried the magnet test still the same as in green wire alternating voltage and blue wire 3.8v constant
Is there any number printed on the top of either of the halls? You might need a magnifying glass to see it.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
How about swapping the blue and green wires over in the connector to see if the blue hall works that way around? If not then it will point towards a broken hall in the pas sensor.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
How about swapping the blue and green wires over in the connector to see if the blue hall works that way around? If not then it will point towards a broken hall in the pas sensor.
That's no a bad idea. I had two kits with 4 wire pedal sensors. Both of them only used one signal wire, though both had only one wire signal connected connected to the controller. The other was floating in air. Yours has both connected, so they're probably both needed, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

pricer592

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2022
Thanks to all that helped to diagnose the fault with my ebike , all things we tried failed , so i purchased a cheap old controller and tempory wired all the bits and bobs into it roughly , all works great now , i chopped the yellow/blue wire from the pas to make it a 3 wire and now it works with the new controller , will tidy the wiring up and give it a try see how it performs and most likel;y but a KT controller one i am happy with it .

Again thank for all the help , now to hopefully buy a new bike to go off road .

Advertisers