New controller set up

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
Hello
I have been learning and eventually managed to get my Ebike going by fitting a new controller In the picture, It goes very well but I was wondering how the speed would be adjusted. This is faster and more powerful if anything but just wondered how you would set up the speed .
IMG_0211.png

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You either control the speed with the throttle or you use the control panel to chose one of three set speeds. Can you explain what your problem is with that?

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
You either control the speed with the throttle or you use the control panel to chose one of three set speeds. Can you explain what your problem is with that?
No problem but how would you set a new controller to the legal speed.
I am happy with how it goes but was wondering how you would adjust the top speed.
I assume the controller don’t know what size wheel it’s running ?
Thanks Ken

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
No problem but how would you set a new controller to the legal speed.
I am happy with how it goes but was wondering how you would adjust the top speed.
I assume the controller don’t know what size wheel it’s running ?
Thanks Ken
You can't set the top speed on that one. It's completely dumb. It just makes the motor go as fast as the motor can. Your actual top speed depends on the motor windings and battery voltage. How fast does it actually go with the wheel off the ground?

If your intention was to have legal speed, you should have bought a controller with LCD that has known functions. You guys always buy your stuff, then come and ask. It's better to ask before buying.

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I can’t get the speed with the wheel off the ground but with a full battery I have
speed 1 walking pace
speed 2 14mph
speed 3 almost 20 mph.
You would not want to be much faster than that on the small wheels.
I was just trying to understand if say the hub was 26” compared to 20” doing the same max revolution it would be faster so does the hub send signals to the controller or just suck it and see.
thanks Ken

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I can’t get the speed with the wheel off the ground but with a full battery I have
speed 1 walking pace
speed 2 14mph
speed 3 almost 20 mph.
You would not want to be much faster than that on the small wheels.
I was just trying to understand if say the hub was 26” compared to 20” doing the same max revolution it would be faster so does the hub send signals to the controller or just suck it and see.
thanks Ken
It just makes the motor go as fast as it can. Your motor is for a 20" wheel, so it spins fast. Motors for bigger wheels have slower windings, so if you put a typical 260 rpm one in your bike, it would keep you to legal speeds, but that's an expensive way to solve your problem. A new controller would be cheaper.

Reactions: KERABO

KERABO

Pedelecer
May 26, 2022
It just makes the motor go as fast as it can. Your motor is for a 20" wheel, so it spins fast. Motors for bigger wheels have slower windings, so if you put a typical 260 rpm one in your bike, it would keep you to legal speeds, but that's an expensive way to solve your problem. A new controller would be cheaper.
No problem
I understand now. The windings in the wheel roughly give the rotation speed ?
I won’t be touching anything. Just wanted to understand.

thank you

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Does the OP NEED a New Controller??
The 'headset' in the first pic looks to be a KT-LED-890, and if so and the OP's controller is a KT brand, then in order to access the configurable options of the controller you will want to plug in one of the 3 button lcd headset options. kt-lcd-1,kt-lcd-2......10+

EDIT scrub that just magnified the pic and im clearly wrong..