New Converted ebiker :-)

Rik D

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2015
Cardiff
Hi , thought ide introduce myself , great site btw .
Ive recently orderd a 1500w Dillenger direct drive rear kit with samsung 20ah battery 30v controler with talk arms and am expecting it in a week or so , have been waiting eagerly for the past month as they were out of stock , no time to waste as the summers ticking on . Its going to be mounted on my year old Carrera Kraken 27 speed , 20 inch frame , 26 inch wheels , front and rear disks . I realize were restricted to 250w but ile be rideing mostly light trails and useing the power onley when realy needed with some fair sized hills , living in Wales this is standerd ! lol
Have also bought two Maxxis hookworm tyres 2.5 inch for it and cant wait to test the whole set up out , and will share some pictures of it with you when its done .
Ive sold my suzuki bandit 600cc to fund the project as ive been doing more MTB the last couple of years than motorcycling and am hopeing the 1500w motor will add the slight thrill factor to my MTB adventures . Would realy love to hear if anyone has any experiance with any 1500w engines as theres not that many reviews on them ?
Cheers .... Rik

Attachments

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Rik, the reason not many members use these direct drive kits is because although they are very reliable and excel on flat roads, they are heavy to cycle without power and are not good on steep hills.

Rik D

Jul 19, 2015
Cardiff
Hey Trex , from what ive read and researched this kit should be fine for the type of hills ile be doing , wont be doing any to sheer hills , just trail stuff realy , With the 1500w should be plenty for my needs .
Dont realy intend to run it out of charge range and will be pedalling with the motor , as ive been rideing standard mtb"s for years and regularly do 15/20 mile cycles . Ile be intrested to see how heavy it is unassisted but am not realy botherd . More intrested in the buzz of powerd ebikeing and the smile factor wilst exploreing some of the beautifull countryside we have localy realy .

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the 20ah battery and 30A controller will give you plenty of power for sure.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I've met a guy with one of those kits - he gets easily over 30mph. Be careful with it, the beast needs good hydraulic brakes to stop.

Rik D

Jul 19, 2015
Cardiff
Yes , i beleive their cabable of 60 + kmh , ile be sussing out weather my existing hydraulic brakes are good enough for the job straight away , and will deffinitly be upgradeing if needs be . As a motorcyclist i realy do appreciate the value of good breaks and am hopeing my experiance of rideing two wheels at speed will be an asset too with the speed factor .
Will be rideing stealth with a back pack , i think the rear rack will have too much of a pendulam effect and is probably better for lower speed models .

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the kit is very quiet, nobody will hear you coming

Reactions: Rik D

Rik D

Jul 19, 2015
Cardiff
Thats ok , ive got a bell ! lol ;) But seriously , ive invested in two two thousand lumen slimline torches with handlebar fittings from china , just for hi vizability aswell aswell as my bell .

Last edited:

Rik D

Jul 19, 2015
Cardiff
Yes and 1500w of power plus my legs to compensate for the weight , so no way theres problems there , even with that weight itl be capeable of 60 kmh . The 20ah battery at 7.5 kg is fairly light for its size and overall the kit offers good performance and range , of course youve got to sacrifice a bit of weight to gain these things , but thats just the way it is and it should suit my needs perfectley .
Also yes my legs are pretty strong from regular MTB rideing and i will be useing them .