New Crossfuse

Musket

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2019
I collect my new Carrea Crossfuse from Halfords this Thursday. Perhaps my journey into which to buy and why I decided on this bike may be of interest to some?

I am recently retired although still in my fifties, tall, slightly overweight (but medically ok) and have had pins holding my lower back together for over 35 years, so spent from my teens till about five years ago without touching a bike.

With cars, I found "sit up and beg" sitting position that you get with vans and 4x4 cars better, and drive a people carrier these days. In 2012, I decided to buy an e-bike and with sit up and beg in mind, bought a Claude Butler Glide 2, as it was a dutch bike step through design and I thought it was what I needed. After a short while, I decided that biking was out for me `s it still hurt and it has sat in the garage ever since, almost like new. I charged the battery from time to time to keep it ok, and never got around to selling it.

My wife is a keen cyclist, using her Orange MTB for a 35 mike round trip most days and wanted me to join her on a shortish bike ride, so I used her old bike, (both. non electric) and found the position very comfy, less stress on my back. I borrowed my friend's e-bike (Wisper hybrid) for a while and started enjoying bikes again. My sit up and beg idea doesn't work with bikes!

So.... decided to buy one.

I looked at all the popular makes and a couple I had never heard of and at least found that with Shimano and Bosch parts, I could begin to compare in terms of value. I soon narrowed it down to a Kross (with battery at the back like my Glide 2 and Shimano motor) a Scott e-sub with Bosch and the Carrera Crossfuse. The Kross had higher spec chain, brakes etc, the Scott slightly cheaper but 500ah and still high spec and the Crossfuse much cheaper and still decent equipment, although the other two came with mudguards, lights, rack etc that I would have to buy.

I had decided each bike represented reasonable value so price wasn't my driver here.

It was purely comfort and ease of riding. I would have liked to buy from an independent shop rather than a national chain but only if everything else was equal in the choice.

On ride alone, the Crossfuse got it. Ok, I paid £1,599 and I have since read about joining clubs for discounts, but I still reckon I have a bargain. I bought the mudguards, rack etc and they are going to fit them. I did get a discount on a one year service package. Whilst it is in warranty, this makes sense. However, with time on my hands, I'll take that over in future, as I look after my wife's bikes.

Looking forward to picking it up! (Must get around to selling the excellent (but not for my back...) Glide 2 some time.)

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
Welcome to the site and enjoy your new bike

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Another compelling story of the health benefits of e bikes getting someone out there exercising where they wouldn't have otherwise.
Enjoy your bike and may the e bike grin never desert you.

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
I have since read about joining clubs for discounts, but I still reckon I have a bargain.
You can join British Cycling for about 25 quid and get 10% off halfords. HSBC customers get free membership, so if you know anyone who is a customer, they can get you a voucher.

You only show it when you come to collect (and pay for) the bike, so you don't need to have done it in advance. You'll save yourself 160 quid if you do!

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
The free membership to British Cycling that HSBC offer is just for one year though. I suppose it's a case of once they've got you they hope you'll stay.
Still during that 12 months you could have a good old spend + enjoy other benefits.
I have a feeling other organisations may have the same offer as HSBC, I'll have to check around.

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
The free membership to British Cycling that HSBC offer is just for one year though. I suppose it's a case of once they've got you they hope you'll stay.
Still during that 12 months you could have a good old spend + enjoy other benefits.
I have a feeling other organisations may have the same offer as HSBC, I'll have to check around.
HSBC offer is indeed just for one year, but they don't take any payment details from you so it's not as if they can automatically renew it.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
They would be getting something out of it that's for sure, it wouldn't be worth their while otherwise.
Personal information is worth a lot in business and I should know, used to use tricks like that myself many moons ago.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I bought the crossfuse a year ago and have been delighted with it. It's a pleasure to get on it every time. The quality of components is excellent and I've done 1600 miles in the year. Not sure how it will be with your back though. On long rides I get the ripping pain across the top of the shoulders. I think its because of the high degree of forwards lean although you being tall may not get that. I have bought some bar end extensions and mounted them upright. This gives me something to hold and sit more upright for a while.
Mike

Musket

Aug 2, 2019
Well, first day with it, went for a ride with friends on back lanes and small roads around local villages, covered 25 miles and I feel fine. Mind you, I have got a large gel saddle from an old bike and will buy a similar more modern one.

The bike was a joy to ride. I kept it in economy mode most of the time and only one bar has disappeared from the battery. Nine gears seems the magic number too.

It is easy to get into Halfords knocking as they are such a large supplier of bikes and that means more accounts of what goes wrong but I did smile when they said they couldn’t fit a stand as there are none on the market that can fit and the bike was designed not to have them. They gave me my money back (also the mudguards the salesman suggested wouldn’t fit and they fitted some others which are fine but that’s two things they sold that couldn’t fit..)

I saw two holes 40mm apart when I looked and within ten secs on Amazon found lots of stands that will fit nicely.

Looking forward to getting out more!

Musket

Aug 2, 2019
Halfords managed to fit a stand on my Crossfuse they even had one in stock...
I have read where they do and they don’t. It was in light of a few threads and reviews on the subject that I added my tuppence’ worth.

The frame is set up for 40mm bracket plates. The double clamp one they had in stock didn’t stand a chance.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
There is a special one listed on their own system (I know 'cos they tried to fit a Crossfire one to mine, then looked it up). The proper one is excellent - BUT - it easily comes loose. I threadlocked the screws/bolts in place and it's been fine since
Mike

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Yes - it's a bike that not even Halfords managed to bodge.

The Bosch ALP system is a joy and the bike as a whole is solid. I still think my Cube Touring is a little better - comfier riding position, covered battery and suspension seatpost - but the Crossfuse is definitely in the ball park...