New e-bike owner

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Went for a ride at dawn today down the Mersey down the transpennine cycle path - freezing mist coming off the water made it look beautiful.

So first of all I just cycled with the motor off to get a feel for the bike. As I suspected it feels heavier than the Marin and in comparison the riding position is much higher (which will take a bit of getting used to) but the roll resistance feels significantly less on the hybrid tyres with bigger wheels - I think it was a little quicker overall.

Now I have never been on an e-bike before. So I tentatively tried Eco mode up a tiny incline - wow!

It really is like a ghost hand is pushing you in the back, isn't it?
It's also great for starting off again after you have come to a stop to manoeuvre though a gate - as the boost comes in on the first turn of the pedals.

I would think that Eco assist (which after all is a 40% power boost) is more than enough for me for 90% of my cycling to be honest, which should give me ranges down into the mostly flat Cheshire plains of 100 miles plus.

The turbo I only tried at the end coming back up the hill to my house. That was less like a gentle push and more like someone ahead of me was pulling me with a giant invisible rubber band! :D Just effortlessly soared up the hill at 25kph with heart rate around 120 rather than the 160+ crawl it usually becomes.

And all totally silent so far as I can tell - the only way of knowing when the motor was on or not (apart from the display) was that if I stop pedalling there is more stifffness in the pedals than if I have it turned off. Those Bosch guys have really excelled themselves with this motor!

All in all - it looks like it will be great fun and it is an amazing bit of kit - feels like really mature technology at this point - I can even see the wife enjoying it!

Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
and in comparison the riding position is much higher (which will take a bit of getting used to)
easy enough to change, looks like flipping the stem will also lower the bars a fair amount, although I get the impression you can't see my posts because you've not responded to them :(

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Yes - I could raise the saddle height and drop the three spacers out of the handlebars I guess. I'll just run it unchanged for the first couple of months though, no need to make any snap changes whilst I get used to it...

Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Turbo on hills should roughly double your speed compared to non assisted, perhaps a bit more in your case coming from an old MTB, although I can't believe your old bike is as heavy as you say :eek:

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Turbo on hills should roughly double your speed compared to non assisted, perhaps a bit more in your case coming from an old MTB, although I can't believe your old bike is as heavy as you say :eek:
Old bike is 1993 Marin - solid steel and built like a tank. 18kgs. The speed issue on hills is that once I get within 10bpm of my heart rate max I ease off, so getting up a longish one takes a LONG time for me (and is little to no fun).

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Old bike is 1993 Marin - solid steel and built like a tank. 18kgs. The speed issue on hills is that once I get within 10bpm of my heart rate max I ease off, so getting up a longish one takes a LONG time for me (and is little to no fun).
I've got a 1992 steel Kona and it is no where near that sort of weight, although I'm not sure of the exact weight, certainly it is considerably lighter than my e-bike.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Well yes - I think the Cube must be 25kg or so with the kit on, so that is around 40% heavier than the Marin.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Well went out this morning for a couple of hours. 25 miles or so - down the Mersey via cycle path and gravel, and then (very) muddy bank (they had shut the gravelled one for some reason), across fields, down onto Canal and then back along A road and cycle lanes. So mixed terrain but basically flat (about 100 m of elevation all told).

Downhill and on flat tarmacced cycle paths/roads I turned it off (at 25kph already).
I generally otherwise used Eco or Tour when I was off tarmac, uphill or when legs getting tired in 2nd hour. Turbo just for longish uphills.

The range is genuinely insane!

I already had 16 km or so on the clock and battery. When I set out it estimated 101 km left on Eco. By the time I arrived home one bar had gone out of the five on the battery indicator, but it was still estimating 94km left.
So basically 40km of cycling (with a max heart rate hit of about 135) barely shifted the range estimate.
In reality it looks like a quarter of the battery (in the middle of winter) has got me around 56km so far, putting the effective range in normal use on the flat with mixed surfaces at over 200 km!

So if you want a budget touring bike, it looks like the Cube Touring Hybrid One 400 which goes for around £1400 would still have a range more than anyone could reasonably need.

A quick google shows the iridium version (with Intuvia etc.) - basically my bike with a 400 W.hr battery instead of a 500 one - is on sale at £1439 at the moment.
Cube Touring Hybrid One 400 Iridium

If anyone is looking for a budget mid drive touring bike I couldn't recommend it strongly enough.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Your bike, if I ever go to mid drive, is the one i would buy. You were very lucky to get the free upgrade, better spec and great solid rear rack. The perfect touring mile cruncher, and very reasonably priced, enjoy it!

Reactions: Andy McNish

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The range is genuinely insane!

I already had 16 km or so on the clock and battery. When I set out it estimated 101 km left on Eco. By the time I arrived home one bar had gone out of the five on the battery indicator, but it was still estimating 94km left.
So basically 40km of cycling (with a max heart rate hit of about 135) barely shifted the range estimate.
In reality it looks like a quarter of the battery (in the middle of winter) has got me around 56km so far, putting the effective range in normal use on the flat with mixed surfaces at over 200 km!
yesterday I covered just under 12 miles on my 300 w/h battery until it went flat, with an average speed of just 12 mph, to say I have range envy is an understatement.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
OK update after 220km of winter use.

Bike is very solidly built - not even a rattle anywhere.

I've had one slow puncture on rear tyre (which I hadn't got round to sliming). Patched inner tube on bike as couldn't be bothered to take wheel off.
At its 8 week service I was always going to have them swapped them out for Marathon Pluses anyway (the LBS just didn't have any in stock when I picked the bike up).

For the purposes of a range test I did a ride down from Stockport to Bollington and back today - mixed roads and cycle paths.

25km with an elevation of just over 600 feet used exactly 20% of battery.

So that looks like a total winter range (2 degrees C today) of 150km if total elevation is c.3000 feet.

I kept it on Eco from start to finish. This is a little unrealistic as I wouldn't normally have bothered with Eco on the flat unless the surface was poor - on good surfaces on the flat its only effect is to push up my speed from say 20kph to 25kph and/or to keep heart rate down. Also on the steeper hills I'd normally use Tour mode not Eco.

I also put very little effort in - average HR was 125 and peak 155.

But I think for range tests keeping it on all the time makes some sense (athough in reality if you were at all worried about your range on a ride you just wouldn't use it on the flat unless you were pretty infirm or unfit, as it's a zero resist motor).

Had about half a dozen friends hop on it as well since I bought it. All quite impressed with its power and smooth/quiet delivery.

Last edited:

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Presumably you used the Middlewood Way from Marple, Its pretty muddy at the moment....
Yes - actually it was surprisingly OK today - though I joined at High Lane, not Marple.

I picked the route as, even though it has more road than I usually like, I knew it wouldn't be so bad for mud.

I only had to slow down for muddy puddles once or twice and washed the bike off in less than 2 minutes when I got home - just a few splashes - not even any muddy clumps to dislodge. The joggers with their headphones on were more an issue!

Now the cycle route up from Stockport (Portwood Roundabout) to Reddish Vale Country Park (the section slightly uphill near Brinnington) that IS a mudfest at the moment!

Or going down the Mersey past Didsbury to Chorlton Water Park on the far bank (near bank is closed for some works) - quite heavy going in parts.

And that git of a uphill farm-track for about a mile at the end of the Applethorpe to Godley railway line when you are going up into the High Peak. I have never felt happier to have the option just to stick the bike into Sport ot Turbo and plough through it!

Are you local? Have you ever been out with the Stockport Community Cycling Club?

Last edited:

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
No not local, I am in Macclesfield but used the Middlewood Way a lot last year in the hot weather as there are plenty of pubs to stop at. Usually I go around the lanes of Macclesfield Forest and up to Rainow and Kettleshulme. Steve W...

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
OK 400 mile update.
Bike has been very solid. Not even a squeak. One puncture but that was before I swapped the stock tyres out for Marathon Plus Tourings (slimed) so I don't expect any more issues on that front.

I have moved the bell over to the right hand handlebar (so I don't accidentally knock the Intuvia controls when I use it).

With panniers containing 2 bike locks.it's pretty heavy - c.30kg in total. You don't want to be carrying it much that's for sure.

It's very comfortable to ride - I think the front fork and suspension seatpost help a lot here - I ride mostly off-road - on cycle paths, river banks and non MTB trails - and it definitely makes a diference,

Motor is a dream. Totally silent, zero resist and truly insane range if you use it (like me) just to moderate heart rate below 150-160. Most of my weekend rides are 2-3 hours and I often only use 10-20% up per ride.

Serious elevation eats battery of course, but it looks like it's good for 5-6000 feet of elevation to me, which is a fair amount of climbing.

People were asking what sort of hill the AcrtivePlus can get up.
Well it did Werneth Low today - which is pretty steep - I think it reaches 14% on its steepest part.

I can confrm that with a total wieght of about 125kg (bike + panniers + me) I could get up seated in 1st gear (of 9) on Turbo and drop my heart rate downwards at the same time. So it can handle up to 15% heavily laden with ease.

If you were lighter/fitter than me and/or didn't mind maxxing out your HR/getting out of your saddle it must be able to do considerably steeper - up to 20% at a guess - but I'll need to find somewhere else to test that.

Still at £1570 it's a budget e-touring bike, and it's seriously capable at what it's designed for at that price.

M. Tartiflette

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2019
Very useful to read all your feedback here and to watch your Youtube video, Andy. Added interest from the fact that I'm familiar with some of the places you describe - I'm from the Macc area myself, though left rather a long time ago now. Still visit family there.

I'm also considering a Cube Touring Hybrid. Do you think the added gear - Deore/Intuvia/seat post - make it worth the extra over the One?

Also, I have old Karrimor panniers which I want to use on my new bike. They clip on at the top and have an elasticated clip that attaches to the rack bottom. The simpler One rack looks like it has somewhere to attach the bottom clip, but I can't see anything to which it might fasten on the Hybrid Touring. Is that right? If so how is the bottom of a pannier fastened?

One other thing - I note you've shifted to Marathon tyres. The guy in our local shop said that the ones the bike came with already had puncture protection. However, I gather from what you say that the Marathon has significantly more.

Reactions: Andy McNish

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Hi. My bike IS the Touring One. It's just that the Iridium editions (which don't seem to cost any more than the black and blue ones) come with Intuvia, suspension seat post and fully integrated rack. It was a nice bonus as I wasn't expecting that.
The next price point up has the 11 speed derailleur and better basic tyres I think, but I can't see that as being worth the price jump if you can pick up an Iridium edition for £300-400 less.

Not sure about the rack. I bought panniers on the internet and they fit on to the bottom of the frame using velcro straps fine. There don't appear to be any pannier specific attachment points down there though.

Last edited:
Reactions: M. Tartiflette