New E-Bike up to 2.5k, looking for reliability and range

Ricky 88

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2018
South east
I'm looking to purchase a new bike with the cycle to work scheme, the limit is 2.5k. I've currently got a carrera crossfie (the shock, the horror) which to be fair has been a great entry into e bikes.

But now I'd like something a bit slicker. Ideally it would have integrated mudguards and rack and potentially a throttle as I have a disability that can affect my ability to go for long rides/up steep hills. Range is important too as I like to go on 30-40 mile rides if possible, I can pedal a fair bit so that will help. So generally a tourer bike, but I'd be happy to modify a hybrid/mountain bike if needed.

I was looking at the Cube touring hybrid pro 2021, but it is towards the higher end of the budget and I've literally just been reading about how rubbish Bosch motors are, so maybe not now lol.

Thanks in advance

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You won't find a throttle on a Bosch bike.

The Wisper Wayfarer looks like a good match for your requirements. I'd go for the hub-motor version if you want reliability. At 44 v, it's more powerful than your average hub-motored 250w ebike.

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Ricky 88

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2018
South east
Thanks for your reply, that's quite helpful. They seem like decent bikes on paper. I may have to see about taking one for a test ride before I decide

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
Thanks for your reply, that's quite helpful. They seem like decent bikes on paper. I may have to see about taking one for a test ride before I decide
We have the new Wisper Wayfarer with a 43v 700wh battery. Brilliant bikes, just done a 30 mile ride today, still over half battery left, build quality is actually pretty decent.

Reactions: artspeck