New ebike kit recommendations?

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Hi guys i recently bought https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m163b0s1132p39625/Electric_Bikes/Mens_Hybrid_Electric_Bikes/CUBE_Kathmandu_Hybrid_EXC_625_2021 as my first ebike and have a fair amount of learning to do but for now I need to get ready for a camping weekend!

Things off top of my head :

pannier bag or similar
tool kit (be lucky if I know how to use)
app - which app actually gives you directions? Strava was very much a plot of a journey but not a turn by turn, caused me to go off route multiple times
headphones to use
clothes, daft question but not sure on the best for casual use
fitness companion ie apple watch or just stick to me iphone 7 etc?
Locks?
Anything else?

ive ordered a new seat so far but thats about it, need to get all for Friday

cheers

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
I guess a choice of pannier bag depends on how much you're carrying, but I just ordered a top box
I also found an app called CycleStreets, which uses cycle tracks/ paths where possible.
Lock-wise, I got a good one from Halfords- https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-locks/evolution-mini-7-lock-with-4-foot-cable-with-flexframe-bracket-sold-secure-silver-581667.html
Can't help with much else I fear!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi guys i recently bought https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m163b0s1132p39625/Electric_Bikes/Mens_Hybrid_Electric_Bikes/CUBE_Kathmandu_Hybrid_EXC_625_2021 as my first ebike and have a fair amount of learning to do but for now I need to get ready for a camping weekend!

pannier bag or similar
app - which app actually gives you directions? Strava was very much a plot of a journey but not a turn by turn, caused me to go off route multiple times
headphones to use
Locks?
Anything else?

cheers

pannier bag or similar
headphones to use
Locks?
Anything else?

cheers
I feel its not a good idea using headphones on a bike, as I saw a Guy fall off for no obvious reason, till I helped him get his leg out of the frame, and helped him to his feet.
It turned out that he had been happily listening to some music, and a faster e-biker/biker had simply overtaken him, and the shock caused him to lose control. And that was an a cycle path, in the UK, next to a river/canal......
If the over-taker had warned him with a bell or not, could not be proven either way (probably not!), but he actually wanted to cycle on with his music, but took them off when I joked about him really wanting to go for a swim in the river, it would seem.....
On a road, we may have been talking about something REALLY serious, and not just a damaged pride and a few minor scrapes.....
But, at the end of the day, its still your choice.
Andy

Reactions: Carlbiker

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
I feel its not a good idea using headphones on a bike, as I saw a Guy fall off for no obvious reason, till I helped him get his leg out of the frame, and helped him to his feet.
It turned out that he had been happily listening to some music, and a faster e-biker/biker had simply overtaken him, and the shock caused him to lose control. And that was an a cycle path, in the UK, next to a river/canal......
If the over-taker had warned him with a bell or not, could not be proven either way (probably not!), but he actually wanted to cycle on with his music, but took them off when I joked about him really wanting to go for a swim in the river, it would seem.....
On a road, we may have been talking about something REALLY serious, and not just a damaged pride and a few minor scrapes.....
Andy
I think I clicked 'report' by mistake on my reply to you! I was just saying that I agree with you 100%!

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I think I clicked 'report' by mistake on my reply to you! I was just saying that I agree with you 100%!
I do not see that as a problem, Admin is not stupid, your post should clear that up!!
Thanks
Andy

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Andy
He fell off because of poor roadcraft, and no other reason.

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
It’s not for music, it’s for directions I was thinking and probably just one ear at that unless there’s some amazon ambient noise ones

I’ll also be adding a mirror, be nice to find some indicators too if they exist

Lumo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2020
...I’ll also be adding a mirror, be nice to find some indicators too if they exist
I find a mirror a great addition, with one I find I check what is going on behind me much more often and because of this I have spotted many things I wouldn't have been aware of until the last moment if I was relying on sound alone. Particularly helpful on busy roads where the constant noise of the cars can drown out the sound of a bike or even one car approaching fast.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Bikemap is a good app. You can record your own journeys & upload for other & download routes to try yourself.
Google Maps is free & good for directions.
I've had the TomTom app on my iPhone for over 10 years mostly use it when driving but as a satnav it's the best.

As noted headphones are a terrible idea but a single earpiece for turn by turn directions would be OK. I have one of these for listening to the radio at night so it doesn't irritate my wife. Around 8 hours battery life & excellent sound quality https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Bluetooth-Earpiece-Reduction-Compatible/dp/B07VD382SZ/ref=sr_1_6_mod_primary_lightning_deal?dchild=1&keywords=single+Bluetooth+Earbud+10+hours&qid=1598609877&s=electronics&smid=A3C1THZ349E1AM&sr=1-6