Help! New eBiker with Motorhome?

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
Hi Guy's,

Im new here and new to eBikes, or should i use the term pedelecs? Whatever, I am looking for some advice and found this forum following a referral from a Motorhome Facebook Group.

You see we (my wife Barbara and I) have just swapped to a Motorhome instead of a caravan. This means rather than pitching a caravan for 2 weeks at a time and going for days out in the car, we now have much shorter 2 or 3 night stays in the MH, leave it on site whilst we walk or get buses/trains on our days out and then change sites.

So obviously its not as easy with a MH to just pop to local shops for the things we forgot or ran out of, which is where the use of a Bike comes in. Im a fit, 6ft tall, athletic build 60 year old but my days of enjoying hard rides up mountain passes or even riding for 'fun' are long since past, so i am looking for a good, reliable, efficient eBike to take the strain.

Queue a load of silly questions in the general chat section

Last edited:

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Get an ebike and you might even find your days of riding "for fun" come back :)

Welcome to the forum..

You should try a few out if you can and make sure you tailor what you get to your specific needs and budget.

If you are genuinely only going to use it to pop down the local shops, for example, then range/battery size, off road use and comfort over multi-hour tours are going to be less relevant than otherwise, but good pannier mounts or an integrated rack might be handy.

Last edited:
Reactions: iRider

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I, m very similar situation,age,wife, motorhome but with heart condition prevents hard rides.
We have 2 ebikes. A Haibike Hardseven (yamaha) and a Raleigh step through(Bosch). I enjoy ebike more than mtb 20 years ago and actually do more than ever. (retirement and doctors orders)
I ditched bike carrier from back of van and now use Thule, which attaches to tow bar. Its easier to load (lower) and feels much stronger.
Bought all stuff 2nd hand, but had to invest in new battery for Raleigh. We, ve used it so much would buy new had I known.
I prefer Haibike, wife prefers step through,which to be fair is better on road. Done 3000 miles in 2 years and go further and higher than ever I did 20 years ago.
Took van/bikes to Lake Garda, Barra, South France and going to Isle of Man for TT week.
You, ll love ebikes. Get crank drive and I advise new, after experience with battery we had on Raleigh. Highly recommend any Haibike. Cant fault mine.
Good luck and welcome.

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
We purchased a new motorhome in March last year and faced a similar dilemma to yourself. My wife purchased an Emu step framed ebike and I built one using a new Carrera Subway 2 bike and a Yose rear hub kit and I had a towbar fitted and use a Thule bike rack.

When we went away last year we used to bikes to cycle around the local area, shopping and visiting the pub for a meal and a few drinks and find it a great way of getting around combined with using local transport.

I'm slightly younger than yourself and a regular club cyclist but really enjoy riding my ebike, so much so I have just purchased a new Scott Genius full suspension ebike.

Last edited:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Hi sounds like pretty much any bike would do. Do you want 1 or 2? Could consider folders if you don’t want to bother with cycle racks and tow bar (which could cost around £1000) if you don’t already have them.