New Forks

cloudwarrior

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2012
hello
I have an 8Fun kit that i had on a donor bike that was a little small. I have decided to transfer the kit over to my old and trusted Raleigh. It has standard forks and the cut out slots for the motor are a little small - the torque washer doesn't fit well. Also the gap between the motor and the fork is very small.

Therefore i wanted to replace these standard forks with suspension forks as in the original donor bike. I can't transfer the forks across as they are different (1" - 11/8" , threaded - threadless ...)

Can someone please confirm that i am looking for from the attached photo?

fork | Eye-Fi

Steerer tube 190mm
thread 30mm (min)

if any one could point me in a direction of some forks that would be brilliant - the ones i found on eBay appear to be too short (700c tyres and 1" dia)

Thanks

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I had the same situation - my old Claud Butler had the older narrow threaded steer tube and all the forks available were for 1 1/8th. Luckily I found a set of re-con Bombers which came with a choice of 1 1/8th or 1" steer tube and I was able to cobble something up. That wasn't the end of it, though; since the replacement steer tube was unthreaded I had to hunt out A-Head adapters and stem extensions to suit me.
There are still plenty of components to adapt the older frames, mostly from New Old Stock held in small bike shops up and down the country - often going for peanuts from ebay vendors who buy up shop contents to clear them and turn a profit in a niche market.

It all got done in the end, but if I were looking for another frame to take modern components I'd be careful to select something with the oversized modern bits.