New Gtech ebike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your bottom braket might have come loose.

Grab the left side pedal arm and see if there is any freeplay when you push and pull it in its axial direction.

Grab both pedals and push and pull them to see if tnere is any rock in the BB. That should also show whether you have a loose pedal arm.

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
i have only done 900 miles, is it possible that it went ?
Its definitely possible, I've got through many BB bearings in far fewer miles than that. You'll feel some play in the pedals if it that, or resistance/grinding.

Do you have any warranty left on your bike? If so call Gtech or take it back to the store you bought it from and see what they say (01905 345 891).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's usually the left crank bolt that needs well tightening.
Your bottom bracket should still be OK.

Reactions: Jaundice

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
anyone managed to de-restrict this bike?
my bike cuts out at 13.9 mph, at least I'd like to reach 15.6mph or more (offroad of course) if possible.

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
Crossed the 3500 mile mark with this bike now.
My right pedal is showing signs of wear (the bearing is worn) but should be OK for a bit, I don't usually get pedals when I buy a new bike, so these are still a bonus as far as I'm concerned.
I've buckled the rear wheel which led to a broken spoke (carrying too much weight).
I reckon there's maybe only another 1000 miles left in the rear tyre before its down to the canvas.

Apart from that, still going strong, still the lowest maintenance bike I've ever owned...

Reactions: lutin and LeighPing

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
5000 miles done now and the bike is showing a couple of issues.

My 2 batteries have degraded somewhat and no longer charge to full capacity, they have however both been replaced under warranty. I would expect a similar life from the replacements though so about 2500 miles from each. I hammer my batteries as I charge to full each time I use them (sometimes 3 times a day!) even if only going a short distance, if you were a bit more careful then you might get a bit more life.

The second issue is the rim on the rear wheel, Its a bit flimsy and is clearly where costs were saved in the production of the bike, I've managed to buckle it and the repair from Halfords wasn't great so it buckled again pretty quickly. I just left it that time and managed to wear out the rear rim where it was catching the brake. I've had the hub rebuilt onto a Mavic touring rim, again by Halfords as my local bike shop owner told me that Gtech will not provide parts to him.

New battery and new rear wheel and it rides like new again. Rear tire is almost slick now, but still has plenty of rubber, still only second set of brake blocks at the front, third at the rear due to the buckled wheel.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
5000 miles done now and the bike is showing a couple of issues.

My 2 batteries have degraded somewhat and no longer charge to full capacity, they have however both been replaced under warranty. I would expect a similar life from the replacements though so about 2500 miles from each. I hammer my batteries as I charge to full each time I use them (sometimes 3 times a day!) even if only going a short distance, if you were a bit more careful then you might get a bit more life.

The second issue is the rim on the rear wheel, Its a bit flimsy and is clearly where costs were saved in the production of the bike, I've managed to buckle it and the repair from Halfords wasn't great so it buckled again pretty quickly. I just left it that time and managed to wear out the rear rim where it was catching the brake. I've had the hub rebuilt onto a Mavic touring rim, again by Halfords as my local bike shop owner told me that Gtech will not provide parts to him.

New battery and new rear wheel and it rides like new again. Rear tire is almost slick now, but still has plenty of rubber, still only second set of brake blocks at the front, third at the rear due to the buckled wheel.
That mileage equates to about 90 full charges.

You can reasonably expect even a cheap Chinese battery to last quite a lot longer than that.

I'm not surprised the shop agreed to a warranty change.

Good chance the replacement batteries will last longer.

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
I'm not surprised the shop agreed to a warranty change.
I'm surprised they did replace them, the warranty explicitly states that the batteries aren't covered and one of them was a freebie special offer when I first bought the bike. Can't fault Gtech customer service though, they've been brilliant.

I think I've worn them out quickly by charging from 90 to 100% so often. This is the point where the most degradation happens on Li-Ion batteries.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

I'm surprised they did replace them, the warranty explicitly states that the batteries aren't covered and one of them was a freebie special offer when I first bought the bike. Can't fault Gtech customer service though, they've been brilliant.

I think I've worn them out quickly by charging from 90 to 100% so often. This is the point where the most degradation happens on Li-Ion batteries.
It's the leaving of batteries in a fully charged state for a long period of time that damages them, if you top them up to 90 to 100% and use them again in a day or 2 it shouldn't damage them provided they use good quality cells.