New guy posting

redstar99

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2019
Hi I'm Red, I've had a cyclomatic pro plus mountain bike now for over two years, saw this site online so decided to check it out, any information on electrical remedies on faults or new kit is a must to keep on top of your cycling.

redstar99

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2019
Thanks, fault finding on these ebikes is all new to me so this looks like a good place to start.

redstar99

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2019
My front brake disk mount snapped off and bent the disk rotor, ever since then the error code 05E Brake error appears on my AP7 800s LCD display which means check my brake connection, I didn't know the front brake was attached to the controller as to me it's just a mechanical disc brake, but it's definitely showing that error code, I changed the cable and put a new disc brake on but it's still not addressed the problem....there are no wiring diagrams I can get hold of for the cylomatic bike I've got so I don't know how it's set up regarding the brakes.

redstar99

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2019
I spoke to the sportshq site regarding this and they said it was probably an issue with the brake sensor loom...whatever that is?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have a switch in each brake and a wire coming from them. Follow the wire until you come to a connector. pull the connector apart. do it to each brake in turn to see which, if any, make the problem go away.

redstar99

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2019
The brake system I have is the ShimanoST-EF51-7R 22.2 from Malaysia, I can't see any magnets or sensors in the brake itself, but I will check along the cable for those connectors and see what turns up, thanks.

redstar99

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2019
all I can see coming from the brakes is two wires on each brake, and one controls the disc pads and one controls the gear change over control, but there is no electrical connection I can see at all....no cables but those two which are for mechanical control only.
I've pulled apart and reconnected the other connectors I can see.....but yet the controller gives an error code of 05E check brake connection? does anyone know of any possible connection arrangement on the shimano ST-EF51-7R 22.2? thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You must have inline brake sensors on the cable somewhere. they look like this:

The sensor/s can be anywhere on the cable, not necessarily at the lever.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
this just looks like it's for cable management to me, but you never know if that plastic piece is doing anything other than keeping the cables tidy.
Inline brake sensor inside as generally to big for a cable tidy.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I edited my post abo e after I tealised that you must have inline sensors, look all along the cables. They sometimes put them at the brake end.

redstar99

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2019
thanks guys, I will have another look for these inline sensors.....it's getting complicated trying to figure out what I have set up on my bike!

redstar99

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2019
sorry for not getting back to you guys about this I've been ill, anyway, I found out where they hid the sensor on the front brake, if you look at the picture above you can see the three line cable management which the cable wires pass through, what I did was to follow the the route the front cable made on the way down with a strong magnet, when I reached the cable management housing you see in the picture, the error code reset to normal, so I can use the bike now with the motor activated, but when I switch the power off and switch it back on again the brake error code appears again, so I have to use the magnet to reset the controller to normal.
when I fitted the new front brake cable I never put it through the cable management box where the sensor is hiding.....which is going to be my next trick, and hopefully my bike will be operating correctly when I apply brakes.

redstar99

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2019
Esteemed pedelecer put a picture further up which I originally didn't pick up on, to me it looks like a cable management block to me, so anyone else out there who has an error code regarding the brakes....I suggest running a magnet all along the cable system to find it, you will know when you have when the LCD controller error code goes off.