New helmet required

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello.
I'm new to ebiking and have just obtained a Cube Acid Hybrid ebike.
Before I go out on the road what sort of helmet should I buy and is there a BSS I should look out for?
Looking online there are many variants so if there is one that is more suitable for a glasses wearing pensioner then that's for me.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You don't need any different helmet than for regular biking. There is no legal need for a helmet because the bike is an ebike, though you may well prefer to use one (as I do). Any of the standard helmets should be fine. I have found MET helmets fit me more comfortably, but that's personal and not saying they are better. Difficult to go to a shop and try them at the moment.

I'm not sure on BSS, but all the reputable brands will be ok (and the disreputable ones may claim a standard they don't actually comply to). The most important thing is to wear it correctly, fairly far forward and with the straps firmly tightened.

I don't regularly wear glasses, but often need sunglasses on the bike. It is a bit of an issue if you take them off wrong, depending if the glasses sides go inside or outside the straps; either way take off glasses before hat. Once it does go wrong it tends to pull out hearing aids as well if you have them; I've nearly lost one a couple of times not noticing.

• Informative
Reactions: Markxc40

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
Glasses wearer here - I'm a fan of Bell helmets (currently a sixer) but anything that is MIPS is better than a non-MIPS (helps with torsional impacts).

I ride a lot and commute as well so wanted something with decent protection to the lower part of my skull hence the purchase.

Best thing is to go and try them on - make sure that it has an easy-adjusting band at the back so that you can fit and refit as often as you need..

• Informative

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Well you are on the right lines Mark . Two days ago I had a nasty tumble on my Fat Tyre Ebike and landed on my head and nose . My helmet stayed on my head but the peak came off . I was leaving a main road for a cycle lane over a dropped kerb and got it wrong ie. angle of entry and speed . I have black eyes swollen left hand and bruises all over the place and aches in other places that I didn`t know existed . I am 81 , so don`t need any more like this . My last tumble was being knocked off a Honda 90 in 1974 and although when I started riding Motorcycles in 1958 helmets weren`t compulsory , I have always worn one . I know that some Forum Members do not wear them as a matter of choice , I am glad I had one when I needed it .
My glasses stayed on but left bruises on my nose where the bridge sits . As it is Summer I was using my traditional helmet and not my more enveloping Ski type with more side protection .

• Informative

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Thanks all that has focussed me down on what I should be looking for so I'll have a trawl through Google later tonight.
Roger I'm sorry to read you have just had a tumble and knocked yourself about somewhat but glad to read you were wearing a helmet which prevented more serious damage.
Take care, stay safe, wear a helmet.

Regards

Reactions: Twinkleten

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0222_03.JPG

the peak on mine is held on with 3 magnets so will pop off if it its the floor :p

• Informative

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
As others have Said, try before you buy.
two same sized helmets from different manufacturers can feel totally completely different when wearing them. I’ve only owned 3 shop brought lids myself. I did once buy one online But it went back the same day because it was so uncomfortable.
Finding out the hard way A bee in trapped in your hair is not fun, so a helmet with built in bug net is top of my shopping list.
MTB helmet covers more of your head than a road helmet
this looks useful with its peak, eye shield and bug net
C56597F6-4FDB-4A88-AB17-FFA5552C26DD.jpeg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victgoal-Detachable-Magnetic-Removable-Adjustable/dp/B07PM6K1CZ
I’d really like to try it out before buying, now I think of it, my sister has amazon prime with free returns;)

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
As others have Said, try before you buy.
two same sized helmets from different manufacturers can feel totally completely different when wearing them. I’ve only owned 3 shop brought lids myself. I did once buy one online But it went back the same day because it was so uncomfortable.
Finding out the hard way A bee in trapped in your hair is not fun, so a helmet with built in bug net is top of my shopping list.
MTB helmet covers more of your head than a road helmet
this looks useful with its peak, eye shield and bug net
View attachment 36026
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victgoal-Detachable-Magnetic-Removable-Adjustable/dp/B07PM6K1CZ
I’d really like to try it out before buying, now I think of it, my sister has amazon prime with free returns;)
id get some Oakley jawbreakers instead of that visor what i use when not using goggles. ;)
DSC_0226_02.JPG

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
That helmet posted by Gringo looks very good . Peaks are handy when the Sun is low and the eyeshield makes it even better . The quest for more ventilation is ok in Summer but in Winter it would be b. freezing . To combat this a skullcap would be a useful addition . I bought one to wear with my Aldi Snowboard helmet as it is a size bigger than my normal size . I find this an excellent combination in the colder weather .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
If you google Cycling Skull Caps there are plenty on there . I bought the briskbike
one from of Oldbury for £3.99 on Ebay post free . If you think that`s too cheap the same model is on Amazon for £6.99 plus postage . I bought mine in 2018 , an excellent buy for colder weather or a too windy helmet .

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
found a review here of my lid well sort of lol.