New here. Suggestions for ebike for off road trails re disabled female

Gooutside

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2021
Hi
I am in Scotland. I gather height and weight counts towards ebike advice, so 5ft 9 and 8.5 stone. My disability is I cannot walk far continuously.
I want to take an e bike into the woods and up hills. Can anyone help please?
I have a Chris Boardman hard tail but due to breathing issues (a genetic thing) I need electric pedal power, where bike would pedal for me 100% if I cannot.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Ozzie

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I live in Glasgow, a BBS02 mid drive is fitted toy bike. If you want to try the system, let me know.

Reactions: Gooutside

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
It's probably worth looking at the 'Which e-bike should I buy?' section of the forum as you'll gather a lot of information from there.

Are you considering adding a kit to convert your existing bike or buying a new e-bike?

There are three types of e-bike: front hub motor, rear hub motor and mid-drive. There are also different methods of having the bike provide the electric assistance and each has advantages / disadvantages.

From your description, you may find that 'Cadence sensing' gives you what you want. With this system, as long as the pedals are turning, the motor will provide power. Some people feel it is a less 'natural' riding sensation than the 'Torque sensing' system where the motor will only give power in proportion to the effort you put in yourself.

I have a rear hub motor with cadence sensing on two of my bikes and am very happy with this system. I also have a throttle which operates independently of the pedals and can provide power with no input from the rider (other than pressing the throttle!).

As I'm sure many people will advise, the best thing to do is to try some different bikes to see which suits you best. At 5' 9" tall, you'll have lots to choose from and your light weight would mean almost any motor will give you a lot of help.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I guess you don't want to do hard off-roading, so probably a rear hub drive would be your best bet.

With a cadence sensor the motor will drive you as long as you can pedal at all, just keep the pedals turning without putting any pressure on them (ghost pedalling). A torque sensor won't allow the motor to give 100% of the power needed (at least, most won't), they typically give 300% or so of your effort at max setting, eg you do 1/4 the work and it does 3/4.

A throttle will allow the bike to drive with no pedalling at all. The laws on throttles are rather confusing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh a serious disability and genetic at that which affects breathing then I wouldn't worry about having a fitted throttle, any prosecution wouldn't be in the public's interest.
I also think a hub motor bike will be more forgiving with a throttle then a mid drive, a mid drive likes to be spun in low gearing as much as poss and a throttle may lead to the controller getting to warm with constant use.

Gooutside

Dec 15, 2021
It's probably worth looking at the 'Which e-bike should I buy?' section of the forum as you'll gather a lot of information from there.

Are you considering adding a kit to convert your existing bike or buying a new e-bike?

There are three types of e-bike: front hub motor, rear hub motor and mid-drive. There are also different methods of having the bike provide the electric assistance and each has advantages / disadvantages.

From your description, you may find that 'Cadence sensing' gives you what you want. With this system, as long as the pedals are turning, the motor will provide power. Some people feel it is a less 'natural' riding sensation than the 'Torque sensing' system where the motor will only give power in proportion to the effort you put in yourself.

I have a rear hub motor with cadence sensing on two of my bikes and am very happy with this system. I also have a throttle which operates independently of the pedals and can provide power with no input from the rider (other than pressing the throttle!).

As I'm sure many people will advise, the best thing to do is to try some different bikes to see which suits you best. At 5' 9" tall, you'll have lots to choose from and your light weight would mean almost any motor will give you a lot of help.
Extremely helpful reply. Learned much ready.

Gooutside

Dec 15, 2021
I guess you don't want to do hard off-roading, so probably a rear hub drive would be your best bet.

With a cadence sensor the motor will drive you as long as you can pedal at all, just keep the pedals turning without putting any pressure on them (ghost pedalling). A torque sensor won't allow the motor to give 100% of the power needed (at least, most won't), they typically give 300% or so of your effort at max setting, eg you do 1/4 the work and it does 3/4.

A throttle will allow the bike to drive with no pedalling at all. The laws on throttles are rather confusing.
Thanks for points on pedal pressure. I think I will have to test some bikes then, as suggested by another reply. I cant imagine cycling with 'ghost pedalling '...new concept and phrase to me! I've always enjoyed the ' burn' sensation in my legs going up hill. Hmm perhaps as you say no really steep routes, therefore I could manage some pedal pressure on easier slopes. Much obliged.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Thanks for points on pedal pressure. I think I will have to test some bikes then, as suggested by another reply. I cant imagine cycling with 'ghost pedalling '...new concept and phrase to me! I've always enjoyed the ' burn' sensation in my legs going up hill. Hmm perhaps as you say no really steep routes, therefore I could manage some pedal pressure on easier slopes. Much obliged.
'Ghost pedalling' gives you the ability to simply turn the pedals without putting in any effort - but only if you choose to do so. On most e-bikes there are often 5 different power levels, with each power level providing assistance up to a given cut-off point.

For example, on my rear hub motor kit, Level 1 assistance gives me power assist up to around 8mph. Beyond that speed the motor provides no help. If I want to go faster, I have to put in the effort myself. As the power 'cut-off' threshold is reached, the electric assistance tapers off gently. Increasing the power level increases the cut off speed and the motor then provides more help up to that increased speed.

Cadence sensing will certainly not stop you from getting some exercise (nor will any e-bike) unless you choose to use it like an electric motorcycle - and at your weight, you could do that. If you really want a workout, just turn the power off completely!

Front hub / rear hub / mid drive / torque sensing / cadence sensing all have their own characteristics, hence the suggestion that try before you buy is a good idea if at all possible. It's not always easy to get a decent test ride unfortunately.

One thing that you will find though, is that an e-bike is just an excellent way for anyone to get around and especially for those less physically able. It's a purchase you are unlikely to regret, so good hunting :)

Reactions: sjpt and Gooutside

Gooutside

Dec 15, 2021
'Ghost pedalling' gives you the ability to simply turn the pedals without putting in any effort - but only if you choose to do so. On most e-bikes there are often 5 different power levels, with each power level providing assistance up to a given cut-off point.

For example, on my rear hub motor kit, Level 1 assistance gives me power assist up to around 8mph. Beyond that speed the motor provides no help. If I want to go faster, I have to put in the effort myself. As the power 'cut-off' threshold is reached, the electric assistance tapers off gently. Increasing the power level increases the cut off speed and the motor then provides more help up to that increased speed.

Cadence sensing will certainly not stop you from getting some exercise (nor will any e-bike) unless you choose to use it like an electric motorcycle - and at your weight, you could do that. If you really want a workout, just turn the power off completely!

Front hub / rear hub / mid drive / torque sensing / cadence sensing all have their own characteristics, hence the suggestion that try before you buy is a good idea if at all possible. It's not always easy to get a decent test ride unfortunately.

One thing that you will find though, is that an e-bike is just an excellent way for anyone to get around and especially for those less physically able. It's a purchase you are unlikely to regret, so good hunting :)
Thank you kindly for detailed explanation. Various power level assistance sounds good. I misunderstood I thought I had to spin endlessly...like a fat burning class...lol

D

Deleted member 38126

Hi
I am in Scotland. I gather height and weight counts towards ebike advice, so 5ft 9 and 8.5 stone. My disability is I cannot walk far continuously.
I have a Chris Boardman hard tail but due to breathing issues (a genetic thing) I need electric pedal power, where bike would pedal for me 100% if I cannot.

Thank you in advance.
Hi,
I am in Edinburgh and disabled too. Just like you i need extra power and probably 100% help at times. I have been to Ebike Scot, Edinburgh and Robert has been spot on. He has a website and it’s https://www.ebike.scot worth giving him a look as he’s bringing out a new one next year which o

I’m looking to get mine in April next year if you are nearby and like me, need some support.

oz

Hi

Thank you in advance.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
A little good news story. Albeit probably out of the range of most of us with a disability, but its nice to see all the same

PS. Also from Scotland-Glasgow.
(Seems to be a lot of Scots on ebike forums)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
There's probably a lot of Scots on ebike forums as we are trying to get away from the rain as quick as possible, never seems to work though.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thank you kindly for detailed explanation. Various power level assistance sounds good. I misunderstood I thought I had to spin endlessly...like a fat burning class...lol
If you are able to pedal, albeit gently, whenever necessary, and balance on the usual two wheels is OK, then a decent spec mountain bike might be your best bet.

These are mid-drive with torque sensing, so effectively amplify your input, and have high torque motors, and have very wide range of gear ratios, so you would never be in the position of having to work hard, but have complete freedom to work as hard as you like if you choose to.

You can have as much comfort as you like by choosing rear suspension and a good longish travel fork, and a good size battery (600Wh or thereabouts is now common) would let you use high assistance levels without range worries.

You might change tyres to something best suited to the surfaces you ride on, but in my experience (life before ebike!) this is the comfortable armchair end of the spectrum!

And remember in Scotland the interest free loan scheme...

Energysavingtrust.org.uk/grants-and-loans/ebike-loan

Gooutside

Dec 15, 2021
If you are able to pedal, albeit gently, whenever necessary, and balance on the usual two wheels is OK, then a decent spec mountain bike might be your best bet.

These are mid-drive with torque sensing, so effectively amplify your input, and have high torque motors, and have very wide range of gear ratios, so you would never be in the position of having to work hard, but have complete freedom to work as hard as you like if you choose to.

You can have as much comfort as you like by choosing rear suspension and a good longish travel fork, and a good size battery (600Wh or thereabouts is now common) would let you use high assistance levels without range worries.

You might change tyres to something best suited to the surfaces you ride on, but in my experience (life before ebike!) this is the comfortable armchair end of the spectrum!

And remember in Scotland the interest free loan scheme...

Energysavingtrust.org.uk/grants-and-loans/ebike-loan
Thanks again. I did a bit of reading and came to idea of mid range, which you suggest. Good. I do think I need rear suspension, too many years on road bikes and hard tail off road. Another good. Torque sensing, yes I've now thought that is best for me too.

I have a 3 major point tick list now, thanks to everyone's kind input and info on this site.

I will read up about the long fork thing. I don't have a long forward reach. I suppose the thing is to go for a smaller frame, higher seat stem? Not sure of effect on these e bikes but at least it's info to give to a retailer too.

Very kind to mention Scottish loan scheme, I will tel them. My credit rating is shot since leaving work recently due to the genetic thingy. I'll see how it goes, otherwise I've plenty stuff in a couple of sheds to sell.

Anyhow if I dont get out soon in the woods or up a hill, I will go insane!

Thanks.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi,. you could:

1. Convert your current bike.
2. Add a suspension seatpost to your current bike. Ftor example -Suntour NCX, Thudbuster
3. Add a uspension stem to your current bike.

Gooutside

Dec 15, 2021
Hi,. you could:

1. Convert your current bike.
2. Add a suspension seatpost to your current bike. Ftor example -Suntour NCX, Thudbuster
3. Add a uspension stem to your current bike.
Thanks for that idea. Well timed. I was online looking at cost of bike re trail off road bikes... they are much more dear. I'll have a look at the 'convert your bike ' section here, and your suggested seat post.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thanks again. I did a bit of reading and came to idea of mid range, which you suggest. Good. I do think I need rear suspension, too many years on road bikes and hard tail off road. Another good. Torque sensing, yes I've now thought that is best for me too.

I have a 3 major point tick list now, thanks to everyone's kind input and info on this site.

I will read up about the long fork thing. I don't have a long forward reach. I suppose the thing is to go for a smaller frame, higher seat stem? Not sure of effect on these e bikes but at least it's info to give to a retailer too.

Very kind to mention Scottish loan scheme, I will tel them. My credit rating is shot since leaving work recently due to the genetic thingy. I'll see how it goes, otherwise I've plenty stuff in a couple of sheds to sell.

Anyhow if I dont get out soon in the woods or up a hill, I will go insane!

Thanks.
By long fork I meant long travel suspension, which does not affect the reach required. Sorry - could have been clearer!

My last non- eBike had 150mm suspension at both ends and was like a feather bed to ride.

UphillBattle

Pedelecer
May 7, 2019
I have a disability that limits how much energy I can spend. Converting an old hardtail MTB I got cheap off of gumtree with a cheap geared hub motor cost me well under 1k including a quality battery and has been amazing for me the last two and a half years. As soon as I did it I wished I had done so years earlier!

Being a DIY job, mine is unrestricted, has a throttle (on top of pedal assist) and a top speed of 26mph. I wouldn’t want to be without the throttle for general use, given how unreliable my legs are.

When you live with disability, it’s easy to under-value what ability you still have and let some of that ability go unused through being too frugal or too unambitious.

What the hub drive isn’t so good for is proper hardcore downhill trail riding - for that I’m on the lookout for a solution…but it’s going to be expensive!