New Kit - Is this messy?

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
Just received my rear drive kit from BMSBattery and thought that I would just connect everything up to see what happened.

Well, it all works but I feel that I'm a pretty untidy DIYer and I couldn't really get more of the cable in the base of the bottle battery controller unit. Didn't want to force the stuff in, but maybe that's what others do?

What's a good way of waterproofing the base of the controller - silicone or similar?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't seal it. Water runs down the back of the battery and drains through that compartment. You''ll be OK in showers, but the whole system is not waterproof enough for heavy rain or leaving out in the rain.

Reactions: Oldie

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Don't seal it. Water runs down the back of the battery and drains through that compartment. You''ll be OK in showers, but the whole system is not waterproof enough for heavy rain or leaving out in the rain.
Not suitable for Cornish winters, then :oops:

D

Deleted member 4366

You could put a cover over the whole battery to give it a better chance. Would a shower cap fit? If I wanted to use one in all weather, I'd make a nice sleeve out of Cordora that goes right round the frame and battery with a flap over the top with Velcro to hold it in place, Seal the disc screws with silicone; make sure that the motor cable exits downwards; and, finally, keep a few freezer bags and ruber bands in my pocket for the throttle. Now you're ready for Telford summers, which are worse than Cornish winters by quite a lot.

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
I did think of a shower cap for heavy downpours. Nice and simple.

I feel that something will be better than nothing and will give it some further thought.

In the meantime, I'm struggling to find out how to attach the in line brake cut off switch that I ordered (don't know why I only ordered one of them!). Can't find anything online at all.

D

Deleted member 4366

It should e simple enough. The sensor normally goes at the brake end of the cable rather than the lever end. You have to cut off about 2 inches of cable outer, or get a new inner from Wilkos for snout a quid.

If you have the three pin connector on your controller, just plug it in, otherwise you have to take a red from the throttle or PAS red and then connect the ground on the sensor (yellow) to your brake 2 pin connector ground (black), and the sensor signal (blue) to your other brake wire (could be any colour).

When you try it, the little red LED should come on when you apply the brake. If it's on all the time, but goes off when you apply the brake, it's pointing the wrong way..

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
Thanks.

When I "test drove" the wired up gubbins on the lounge floor I was able to hold the cut off switch and move it about to get the red light to come on and off (and, yes, it had a 3 pin connector). What puzzles me is how it actually works.

Your installation comments all make sense though.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've no idea how they work.I'm wondering why they need to be so long. If had a broken one, I'd take it apart.

C

Cyclezee

I did think of a shower cap for heavy downpours. Nice and simple.
Try a condom like Durex Extra Safe, they don't come in different flavours, but I don't think that is important for this applicationo_O

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I've no idea how they work.I'm wondering why they need to be so long. If had a broken one, I'd take it apart.
Is this about condoms? If so I feel your pain Dave. :)

If its about brake sensors, then I'm in the same boat. The one DC sent me works fine, so I'm a bit reluctant to cut it up to find out.
(Obviously the ones you sent were also fine too, cheers).

Last edited: