New Light

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
looking for a decent light for my S Cross. Already has a light fitted but in all honesty it's not very good. Today I was on the Monsal Trail and anyone who knows it knows there are several long tunnels, which although dimly lit are quite dark in parts. My light was not good enough. So I am looking for something that can be permanently on the bike, and maybe even wired into the battery if that is possible. Many thanks

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
looking for a decent light for my S Cross. Already has a light fitted but in all honesty it's not very good. Today I was on the Monsal Trail and anyone who knows it knows there are several long tunnels, which although dimly lit are quite dark in parts. My light was not good enough. So I am looking for something that can be permanently on the bike, and maybe even wired into the battery if that is possible. Many thanks
Don't wire it to the battery, or at least have another one with its own batteries, as some e-bikes shut off all power to everything when the battery is "empty"....
I found that out years ago and have always had battery lights since then.
Regards
Andy

• Informative
Reactions: gray198

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
These are very bright for the small size but can't be wired to your battery.

and these are insanely bright, I use it on the pitch black back lanes only and dip it if anything is coming toward me.

Both seem well built for the price.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
These ones will give you everything you want.

The lights with more than one LED can give out more light, but the downside is that the batteries provided with them struggle to supply enough power and they don't give you much run time.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Railway tunnels are a unique cycling environment and most folks don’t know just how dark they are, the walls, ceiling and floor have the ability to absorb light rather than reflect it.

I have both lights awol mentioned.
The first is a good all round light, I use it as both a drl and to light my way at night but in a tunnel it only gives a puddle of light, just enough to crawl through.
I have the 7led version of the second light and I save it purely for damp railway tunnels., enough said :)
PS I use my own battery made with 6 x 18659 cells

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
thanks for all your responses. I will certainly look closely at those, but wondered if there are any lights out there that do not require a separate battery pack. Maybe there is nothing powerful enough in that category

regards gray

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I have a volt 1600 cateye. It's all in one piece and rechargeable but at £125 it's a pretty pricey back up for the occasional tunnel. I use it on country roads at 5am in the morning all year round for which it is perfect.

My only personal comment on tunnels is to take your sunglasses off before entering the tunnel and not after, or carry a guide dog on your bike.

Darren

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If you can find a way of mounting it and have some 18650 cells There’s the Skyray range of torches, a very bright but a bit chunky torch.
Take your pick

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I have two versions of the solar storm and the single led vfr400 mentions. So 4 lights in total, half run directly off usb and half from 8. 4v dc

I use the dc ones as main lights and keep one usb one in my bag with a phone charger /battery back up.pack

• Informative

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Extremely bright, only ever used it on half power (full, half, strobe, off). Probably 7.4v, 4x18650 battery wouldn't last long on full anyway. Rubber band mounting not rigid, slips, be good with an alternative cam action fixing that would dip it too :)
Don't know if Amazon still have them but link is.
[/URL]

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Extremely bright, only ever used it on half power (full, half, strobe, off). Probably 7.4v, 4x18650 battery wouldn't last long on full anyway. Rubber band mounting not rigid, slips, be good with an alternative cam action fixing that would dip it too :)
Don't know if Amazon still have them but link is.
[/URL]
thanks Mike but links not working for me

regards

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire

regards

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
these are about the best bang for ur bucks you are going to get lights wise and real power output.

all these 10,000lm+ lights from china are well just crap and no where near there stated output plus you get fake 18650 cells again that are no where near there stated mha range.

Reactions: gray198 and EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
these are about the best bang for ur bucks you are going to get lights wise and real power output.

all these 10,000lm+ lights from china are well just crap and no where near there stated output plus you get fake 18650 cells again that are no where near there stated mha range.

Still loving my Magicshine Eagle F3. :)

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland

regards
Thats google! Try this similar product that is avail, at least in d UK (blooming shipping restrictions):
Cheers. Mikel

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Would this 16v ultracapacitor pack be any good for powering a light? Maybe several cree in series if they're 4.?v ea like white hyperLeds? Take some tinkering
Edit: be careful , sellers other items are cheap bricabrac, so these may not exist, also says UK but takes a month delivery! Mmm
Identical ad, different seller name, same bricabrac other items, definitely beware!

Last edited:

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Some of these cheap lights don't have a good vertical cut-off - so you run the risk of annoying any oncoming traffic.

Another alternative that meets the stringent German requirements and will run off your ebike battery is by Spanninga (and is much cheaper than the premium offerings by others).
Available in a few places, mostly in the Netherlands - I've used David @ Dutchbikes and found the experience to be very easy - he's a Brit who moved over to cycling nirvana.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/spanninga-axendo-80-xe?keyword=spanninga&category_id=0

Phil

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
I like the idea of a proper reflector with beam pattern. Scattered light annoys other road users. More efficient use of battery too.
But when they approach at 100kph with headlights on full beam, i want to see where I'm going too!
Cheers. Mikel