New member, bike on order

DonRicardo

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2014
I lurked a bit on here before ordering a bike last week.

I'm getting a KTM Macina Cross 9, basically to get me through the very worst weather Blackpool can throw at me!
I've been commuting since March and decided recently after trying my mums A2B that electric power was the way to go. I have a motorbike so anything with a little push will be great.

I figure the Bosch unit looks pretty good and the bike should suit well, and even though I know they aren't totally connected KTM means a lot in the motorcycling world.

I'm 29, 115KG's but a lot fitter than that sounds, I completed Tough Mudder recently, I am a keen boxer and badminton player as well as spending a little too long in the gym to my girlfriends annoyance! This was another reason for the e-bike I don't need the exercise that I get commuting it's just an added extra which is fine but a pain sometimes on rest days after a heavy leg session!

Anyway enough blabbering, just thought I'd say more than a line of text.

Richard

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Welcome to the forum! I too am a motorbike rider who now has a KTM pedelec (though not the motorbike now sadly). I love my KTM and find it huge fun to ride. Let us know what you think of your Cross 9 when it arrives. :)

DonRicardo

Just Joined
Oct 8, 2014
Well I'd just like to give my impressions from a few weeks riding.

I have to say this is a fantastic bike with exceptional build quality. The Bosch Active Line system is fantastic, not only is it exceptionally quiet but it provides whatever assist you'd need.

I have to say it's nothing like I imagined, I bought the bike blind and just went off reviews and other opinions which was probably a bit mental for a £1700 bike but I have to say I've been very pleased. On Eco the range figures after a charge are just silly, it quotes 111 miles yet after a 6 mile commute against the wind at Blackpool it was down to 58. Then on the way home with the wind I got home on 63 miles!
Basically don't look at the range figure, use the battery segment indicator! Without blowing my own trumpet I'm a reasonable cyclist I often do 50+ mile rides in the summer on my Defy 1, on eco you get a proper cycling type workout, just keeps you going uphill at a decent lick (steep hill I ususally got up at 8-9 mph I cruise up at 12 mph on eco, any higher level and I get to 15.5-16.5 mph (assist seems to give a little leeway above 15.5). On tour I find it hard not to keep at the top of the assist level or over.

Sport and turbo are just for those days you really need to take it easy or you don't want to sweat, you're probably only looking at a 25-30 mile range with that though.

On turbo I can't set off in first gear for fear of a huge un-intentional wheelie haha! One thing I miust mention is how good the gearing is, I get up to around 30 going downhill and there is probably a good 5 mph still left in top for when I'm really on it!

Overall I'm really happy, and I have nothing but praise for them sticking such an amazing tyre on as standard! Swalbe Marathon Mondial is such a great choice, rolls well but lots of puncture protection.

Again much praise for Tom from London Electric Bicycle Company he was really excellent!