New Member from West Wales, lots of big hills:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
My wife has a Giant Twist Esprit. Does anyone know if it's possible reprogram the controller to increase the maximum speed on this model?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I've been reading more threads and picking up the feel of it.
So, to add, I'm 61 and a leisure cyclist since I was a kid. I'm currently using a Silver Fox 21 gear hybrid inherited from my wife. We bought her the Giant as she never had bikes as a kid so it's not 'in the blood' in the same way. I thought that I wouldn't have to hang around so much if she had assistance. In practice she now serenely sails past me uphill, ( did I mention there's lots of hills?) whilst still sitting in the saddle and giggling all the way. I am in therapy as a result;).

The bike, bought second hand, seems good quality with a solid feel. However, being a step through, it does have a disturbing twist to the frame and if you ride no handed ( I know I'm still a kid) it develops a nasty speed wobble. The power is good, gear change smooth but the top gear could do with being a bit larger 'cos her little legs are going like the clappers anything over about 18mph. Brakes are good but seem to be scoring the rims, not sure if this is something to be concerned about. Lights are good switched from the controller.
Which brings me to the electrics. As a working electrician I get uneasy around electrical stuff in the rain, and that's the other thing we have plenty of here. Has anyone had any water problems with the controller? Also there's a big hole, underneath the bottom bracket , where the wiring goes in. Is this a problem?
Overall I'm well impressed with the ability of this machine to make cycling a pleasure again. So much so that I'm looking for one for myself. I don't like the sit up and beg aspect of the Giant, so I'm leaning towards the woosh Big Bear, that extra range appeals. I also like the look of the Cycle ezee Sprint Primo, though the bigger battery would price it beyond the BB. Don't really want the throttle, but hey!
I'm aware that these are both low end bikes so components will be from the cheaper end of things. Any reflections would be welcome.
Also there are no dealers for these around here (Carmarthen area) so if anyone has one I could try that would be great.
Thanks
Ben

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Welcome to the forum. I had a Woosh as my first e bike in the spring and it was a good buy for the money. The components were a little low end as you would expect since the electrics probably made up around £500 of the price. I think a little silicone around where the cables go into the controller and frame is probably wise if you're planning to ride in the rain a lot.

New Image bikes in Cardigan sells some e bikes and Cyclemart near Lampeter sells some brands too.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Welcome to the forum. I had a Woosh as my first e bike in the spring and it was a good buy for the money. The components were a little low end as you would expect since the electrics probably made up around £500 of the price. I think a little silicone around where the cables go into the controller and frame is probably wise if you're planning to ride in the rain a lot.

New Image bikes in Cardigan sells some e bikes and Cyclemart near Lampeter sells some brands too.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi John, thanks.
Cyclemarts machines are a bit on the radical side for an old plodder like me. Went to new image a couple of weeks ago, he only had one e bike, don't remember the make.
Started looking at conversion kits thinking that I might be able to convert the Silver Fox as it's a decent bike.
Would weight be a problem? It's a high step through unisex frame and has no suspension, any thoughts?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Benjahmin,

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding eZee bikes, we consider them to be the best electric bikes made in China.

eZee has been making electric bikes since 2001, they are designed and manufactured 'in house', unlike other brands which use generic parts.

The Sprint Primo is the entry level model in the eZee range, but just as reliable with good performance and excellent value for money.