New member needing ebike advice please

DodgyKnees

Just Joined
Mar 12, 2016
Hi

My name is Rob and I'm from Denton (a suburb of Greater Manchester in the UK). I have had (and still have) two Decathlon bikes, the latest being a Triban 540. Whilst I enjoy cycling in the summer, my knees have deteriorated rapidly over the last year or so and I'm now looking for an 'ebike' to help with my daily commute which is a 10 mile round trip.

The choice seems a little bewildering and from my Google research I'm still non the wiser really. So much choice and marketing hype without any up to date genuine and honest reviews.

I'd be willing to pay up to £2K if I knew I could guarantee reliability and strong after sale support (I dread spending a lot of money and being left with no support if things go wrong).

I think crank drives are probably the way forward for me. I want to peddle but need assistance on hills on the way home.

Shops in the Greater Manchester area seem very few and far between so if anyone can recommend where I could try before I buy that would really help?

Many thanks in advance.
Rob

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Rob
You'd be very welcome to come over to New Mills to see and try our bikes and where we also have the latest Wisper Torque drive and Raleigh Bosch centre drives. 200 metres from New Mills Newtown station and with good parking if you're making your way by car. Open Tuesday to Saturday. Our most local stockist is in Chorlton, Ken Fosters who offer first class service.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I'm not sure what your level of fitness is but I'm of average fitness and wanted similar.

Ended up going with a bosch cx and it's very good. You just very gently spin but go much faster than if you were a very quick cyclist. Literally no sweat doing over 10 miles each way. It might actually do your knees good as it'd be such gentle exercise. Take what you like with you as the weight doesn't matter, much better than cycling lol!

Definitely worth trying a few if you can.

If it's any help here is an on going review of what I bought:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cube-reaction-hybrid-pro-bosch-cx-500wh.23332/

Good luck with the search :)

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Rob, you are really close to Juicy Bikes (your side of Manchester in fact) and Bob will give you a lot of advice, moderately good coffee and test rides on his bikes. Juicy Bikes are good on after sales support and they have lots of hills near the shop where you can try out those dodgy knees of yours.
I bought a bike off him late last year and haven't looked back since (well, not whilst I'm riding the bike anyway!):D