New Member purchase advice

moremeba

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2015
Hi all, as the title suggests i am a new member here but not new to ebikes.
My previous purchase some years ago was a Currie kit that i had installed on a mountain bike for commuting in and out of London.
I was a lot younger and fitter than and tbh i could pedal faster than the Currie could propel me but found it useful on hills.
I am now in need of a replacement kit to fit on my Moulton APB and was thinking of a Bafang mid drive for my new commute.
Has anyone any experience on using one of these kits on a Moulton, or any suggestions for a kit that may be more suitable.
My new commute is approx 25 miles one way so was looking for something that will give me enough speed and range.
Many thanks in advance
Barry

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you want to be road legal or not bothered ?

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a lot of limitations with that bike. Are you sure that you want to do 50 miles a day on that. One with bigger wheels, disc brakes and suspension would make it much more tolerable without all the problems of where to fit the battery.

To do, say 22mph for 25 miles requires about 500wh.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just googled for Moulton APB didn't realise it was a small wheeled shopper, personally wouldn't want to go 5 miles let alone 50.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just googled for Moulton APB didn't realise it was a small wheeled shopper, personally wouldn't want to go 5 miles let alone 50.
Hardly a "shopper" bike, this Moulton model is a very serious and capable bicycle. They are used on long rides as this account clearly shows.

The OP's request is on this link before the spam posts.

Reactions: 4bound

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
at that price i'd wonder if sir would consider buying a new kalkhoff annually for ten years
Ah, but it's not a Moulton. They are a bit like Morgan cars, unique and rather special. As nice as a Kalkhoff may be, it's not uniquely special.

Just looked at some Morgan prices, the Aero 8 costs new around £57,000 depending on version, but a second hand one at three years old is on offer at just short of £80,000. Now that is special!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yummy! A Rohloff and a 350 W Bagfang, why not. :rolleyes: I do not see your particular model on the web site. Pashley Cycles don't have them listed anymore. Will ground clearance be a problem with the Bafang?

Tony

moremeba

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2015
[/URL][/IMG] Hi Tony, i think the ground clearance will be OK...i was more concerned with the clearance where the suspension frame on my "shopping bike" meets up with the main frame.

Attachments

Last edited:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
My first car was an imitation Morgan - a BSA three-wheeler with a V-twin engine stuck between the front wheels. Part fabric body, outside handbrake and boat tail. Two tiny semi-circular windscreens ... oh, the joy of being 18 and in love! Sixty years on and the three-wheeler has morphed into an etrike with a wire shopping basket - and it's not even mine, it's J's !

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
i think the ground clearance will be OK...i was more concerned with the clearance where the suspension frame on my "shopping bike" meets up with the main frame.
Looks like you are right to worry, that nut is very badly placed. You may have to do some filing. You have seen this of course?