New member with Carrera Vengance problems

Saltscar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2021
Hi, I'm new to the group having bought a Carrera Vengance ebike for the wife. (In hope of getting out for longer rides). This had been stored in a shed over winter and although battery has full power the control panel does not power up. I have only checked through basic connections so far But are wiring diagrams, instruction & troubleshooting manuals available online anywhere? Intending to strip and check it out later this week. thanks in advance.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Some batteries go to sleep when not used in a while. See what your manual says.

My own battery shuts down after maybe an hour of not being used. A quick press of the battery power button shows charge level, but it's still asleep. You need to hold the power button down for 10 seconds to wake it up. Yours may have a similar function.

Saltscar

Apr 19, 2021
Some batteries go to sleep when not used in a while. See what your manual says.

My own battery shuts down after maybe an hour of not being used. A quick press of the battery power button shows charge level, but it's still asleep. You need to hold the power button down for 10 seconds to wake it up. Yours may have a similar function.
Hi, the battery has been on charge and is showing full charge although there is no power / display on the control unit. I suspect either faulty connections or the control unit failed. To date I have been unable to find any troubleshooting data or wiring diagrams for the bike. It was 2nd hand when I bought so unsure what came with it when new.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
This had been stored in a shed over winter...
It was 2nd hand when I bought...
There are a couple of members here who know your e-bike quite well (I don't), but from what I've read, troubleshooting guides and wiring diagrams you won't find. It depends which model you have as Halfords changed the Vengeance quite a lot after 2019. The Suntour HESC system is a bit of a dark art (the controller is potted in resin on some models), and some members have resorted to replacing Suntour controllers/displays when problems arose if yours is one of those models. Again from what I've read, it's really only Halfords that will have the majority of original parts for what is a Halfords exclusive model.

If the bike/battery was second hand, and left unused in a damp, sub-zero shed over winter, you may want to first test the battery really is still okay with a multi-meter (should be >41v) - you can't rely on the battery LEDs. It may also be an idea to take the bike indoors to let any residual damp/condensation thoroughly dry out too. Hopefully nothing electrical corroded causing bad connections, but IMHO that may be a real possibility.

Others may be by shortly with pearls of wisdom on where your Vengeance problem(s) may lie, but it'd help to know which version/drive system yours is.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, I'm new to the group having bought a Carrera Vengance ebike for the wife. (In hope of getting out for longer rides). This had been stored in a shed over winter and although battery has full power the control panel does not power up. I have only checked through basic connections so far But are wiring diagrams, instruction & troubleshooting manuals available online anywhere? Intending to strip and check it out later this week. thanks in advance.
Which version do you have. Please show the LCD or LED control panel..

Saltscar

Apr 19, 2021
Which version do you have. Please show the LCD or LED control panel..
Hi, the controller is SR Suntour HESC with HESC hub. I will restart this post in the Technical forum as I assume this is where it should be, Cheers.