New noise from Kalkhoff Impulse 1

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
This is on a Kalkhoff Agattu impulse 1 bike.

The noise is a regular ticking/clicking/clinking, around once per revolution, coming from the motor area.

It is present when motor is on or off. It is also present when there is no load and the bike is inverted.

It's not the chain catching on anything and seems to be coming from the crank/motor area.

So it's not the usual impulse motor noise syndrome, since that is only reported present when the motor is on, but it is still a noise from the motor area, so may be in the crank/bottom bracket bearing?

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
When you say once per revolution, do you ,mean of the pedals or the wheel.
If the pedals, I would check the actual pedals first because they do get a lot of wear.

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
When you say once per revolution, do you ,mean of the pedals or the wheel.
If the pedals, I would check the actual pedals first because they do get a lot of wear.
I took off the crank arms and rotated the crank with a spanner, and the clink is still there. When being turned fast, there is actually a second less pronounce clink about a third of a turn after the first clink.

I don't know if anyone knows this, but it would be useful to know what is actually being turned by the cranks when the power is off and the motor is not engaged?

Mr MSJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2013
Wembley
Hi lordvincent, did you get to bottom of it? Would be interesting to hear your findings because I own one (only xxl) too. Thanks.

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Hi lordvincent, did you get to bottom of it? Would be interesting to hear your findings because I own one (only xxl) too. Thanks.
No I haven't got to the bottom of it; it's still there and I don't know what it is.

However, there are a couple of new things to report about it:

The noise is present, once per rotation, when rotating the cranks with the rear wheel elevated. But rotating the cranks with the motor 'push assist' function, the noise is not present. Additionally, after using the push assist, the noise has 'moved' to another point in the rotation...

My guess is that it's something in the bottom bracket, possibly bearings? I don't know whether it can be partially disassembled or even whether it's a good idea to squirt some lubricant into the gap between the square taper and the housing? 50 Cycles are very hit and miss on this sort of thing.