New or second-hand Orbea Optima Comfort 10

Should I buy new or second-hand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IbizaNick

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2018
Ibiza
In some ways this is sort of two questions in one. The main query is: what are the risks of buying a second-hand e-bike?

To give you a brief bit of background, I am a 63-year-old living in Ibiza with a terminal cancer diagnosis although the risk of my imminent demise seems to have lifted, for now. (I've gone into more detail in my introductory post.) I currently have a folding e-bike from Decathlon and I'm looking for something capable of going a little further, sometimes on unsurfaced roads. I won't be riding down any mountains, but I will be going shopping, so I need to be able to carry stuff. The maximum distance I'd be likely to go would be 60km which is less than 40 miles. (Ibiza's only a small island!)

I'm looking at buying an Orbea, partly through necessity. It's stocked by the retail and rental company on the island with probably the greatest e-bike expertise. And, although Orbea might not be a big name elsewhere, it's the largest-selling bicycle brand in Spain and has been for many years. It's supplied machines for Olympic gold medalists and had its own racing team. So there's certainly nothing wrong with its pushbike pedigree, but, as with most makes, reviews of its e-bikes are hard to find.

The Orbea Optima Comfort 10 seems to tick all the boxes for me. My plan is, initially, to rent one for a few days and see how I get on. Assuming I like it, the question is whether to buy it new or second-hand. The shop has an ex-hire model for sale, but it's the 2016 model. The newest version is 2019.The main differences I can see are that the older model uses a Bosch Active Line motor whereas the new one has a Bosch Performance CX, motor. The new one also has a 500Wh battery rather than a 400Wh. There are also variations in the components used by the two models. But, the biggest difference, for me, is the price - €1750 or €2999.

I can just about stretch to the expensive model, but is it worth it? Obviously, e-bike parts do wear out and so there's more risk with an older bike. That said, the bike might have been well-used, but it will also have been regularly serviced. As it's a hire business, they're used to collecting riders from all over the island. And, because it's a small island, they're unlikely to deliberately sell me a lemon, because word soon gets around. (As you can maybe tell, my head says to buy the second-hand one while my heart wants me to get something shiny and new.)

Any thoughts?

(BTW, the spec for the second-hand bike is here: https://www.kandani.es/blog/orbea-optima-comfort-10-e-bike-alquiler-kandani-ibiza/ and the new one here: https://www.orbea.com/es-es/ebikes/optima-comfort-10-19

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I
In some ways this is sort of two questions in one. The main query is: what are the risks of buying a second-hand e-bike?

To give you a brief bit of background, I am a 63-year-old living in Ibiza with a terminal cancer diagnosis although the risk of my imminent demise seems to have lifted, for now. (I've gone into more detail in my introductory post.) I currently have a folding e-bike from Decathlon and I'm looking for something capable of going a little further, sometimes on unsurfaced roads. I won't be riding down any mountains, but I will be going shopping, so I need to be able to carry stuff. The maximum distance I'd be likely to go would be 60km which is less than 40 miles. (Ibiza's only a small island!)

I'm looking at buying an Orbea, partly through necessity. It's stocked by the retail and rental company on the island with probably the greatest e-bike expertise. And, although Orbea might not be a big name elsewhere, it's the largest-selling bicycle brand in Spain and has been for many years. It's supplied machines for Olympic gold medalists and had its own racing team. So there's certainly nothing wrong with its pushbike pedigree, but, as with most makes, reviews of its e-bikes are hard to find.

The Orbea Optima Comfort 10 seems to tick all the boxes for me. My plan is, initially, to rent one for a few days and see how I get on. Assuming I like it, the question is whether to buy it new or second-hand. The shop has an ex-hire model for sale, but it's the 2016 model. The newest version is 2019.The main differences I can see are that the older model uses a Bosch Active Line motor whereas the new one has a Bosch Performance CX, motor. The new one also has a 500Wh battery rather than a 400Wh. There are also variations in the components used by the two models. But, the biggest difference, for me, is the price - €1750 or €2999.

I can just about stretch to the expensive model, but is it worth it? Obviously, e-bike parts do wear out and so there's more risk with an older bike. That said, the bike might have been well-used, but it will also have been regularly serviced. As it's a hire business, they're used to collecting riders from all over the island. And, because it's a small island, they're unlikely to deliberately sell me a lemon, because word soon gets around. (As you can maybe tell, my head says to buy the second-hand one while my heart wants me to get something shiny and new.)

Any thoughts?

(BTW, the spec for the second-hand bike is here: https://www.kandani.es/blog/orbea-optima-comfort-10-e-bike-alquiler-kandani-ibiza/ and the new one here: https://www.orbea.com/es-es/ebikes/optima-comfort-10-19
I think the used bike is a bit overpriced. If you can afford it I’d get the new one.

Jimmeee

Sep 14, 2018
I've no idea if the second hand bike is overpriced but presumably from the shops point of view they've already paid for it, had use out of it and now are looking to realise some £. Make them an offer

IbizaNick

Sep 16, 2018
Ibiza
It was never intending to just go in and pay the advertised price. That's partly why I've left it until towards the end of the season when I'm hoping they'll be keen to get rid of old stock. (Although cycling in Ibiza's better in the winter when it's not too hot, the rental companies don't have as many customers.)

My main concern about buying a second-hand e-bike is with just how much wears out with age. Many, many, years ago in my teens I was quite a keen cyclist. I only ever bought one bike, but I kept upgrading the parts until nothing of the original machine remained. It's not so easy to do that with an e-bike and I've lost the desire to tinker obsessively. Obviously, the battery will be affected by the number of charges, the chain and gears will wear out, but I can recognise those problems. If the motor goes it's a bit different.

Last edited:

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
IbizaNick,

Test ride both machines on the same day over the same terrain, so that you have an immediate comparison of their capabilities.

The better motor and larger battery are two definite plus points on the new machine.

Bosch motors compared:
https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/products/drive-unit/

In your situation I would go for the new one.

Good luck with your purchase.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Expect at least 30% increase in climbing speed with CX, also Eco mode is almost as powerful as Activeline Tour mode.
Unless terrain is mainly flat I'd go with CX, it eats hills for breakfast.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
IbizaNick,

"If the motor goes it's a bit different".

Don't worry, help is at hand from the Bearing Man.

If the motor on the used bike sounds like the one in this video (at 30 seconds), then don’t believe the seller if he says, “Oh, they all sound like that, sir”:

https://www.performancelinebearings.com/how-to/

It will probably sound perfectly okay.

The biggest threat to Bosch motors according to the Bearing Man, appears to be water ingress, so you are in a very favourable location in Ibiza having very little rain.

Other links:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/hi-from-the-bearing-man.32768/#post-462000

https://www.performancelinebearings.com/about/

IbizaNick

Sep 16, 2018
Ibiza
Thanks. Obviously the motor is the key thing, but as somebody fairly new to e-bikes. it's trying to work out how much real difference there is in practice between units given the 25kmh eu limit.

I won't be going on transcontinental trips, but we've got some quite steep hills on Ibiza, so it's good to know that it's worth forking out the extra for the more powerful motor. I wouldn't imagine the other components would make a massive amount of difference, unless somebody's going to tell me different...