New Powacycle Windsor - intermittant power

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Powacycle Lynx Intermittent/Hard Faults

I have a similar fault on a month old Powacycle Lynx LPX, I have emailed Powacycle to find out whether they have had many ebikes with similar symptoms. I have asked Powacycle the following, and will post the reply ;-

A grinding noise, I think it is electrical not mechanical, emanating from the rear wheel motor hub, then the motor goes dead. I have four questions for you, perhaps you could answer each question.

1. What is the mortality rate of the control board ?
2. What is the mortality rate of the electric hub motor ?
3. Does the Control PCB suffer from connectivity problems ?
4. Would I contravene the warranty if I were to reseat the electrical connections on the Control PCB ?

From my experience of repairing electro-mechanical devices, failed or failing connectivity is the most likely cause of some intermittent faults. The fault on the Lynx was intermittent on yesterdays riding session, but a hard fault on today's riding session, prior to the 14th June the cycle has behaved beautifully and was well pleased with it, the cycle is just one month old.

Regards Terry

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Fast Confusing reply from Powacycle

I have just heard back from PowaCycle - here is the answer to all my questions above - word for word ;-

Dear Terry,
Please relate all your queries to you vendor, Mitchell Cycles. Unfortunately we do not have any of your details, and do have any interaction with our dealers customers.
Kind regards - Wazz Mughal - PowaCycle

I think they mean they don't talk to customers - and this is their For After Sales and Tech Support email contact.

It just dawned on me there was no guarantee form to fill in when I bought the ebike, no wonder they don't have a record of me, I would have thought that a purchase of £599 would warrant some form of customer and ebike tracking. I mean you get to fill in a guarantee with a Curry's £7 toaster - don't you?

I did ask Mitchell Cycles this morning if they had this problem before with Powacycles, they replied they haven't, and there is only one other reported case on this forum. Mitchell Cycles say they can get parts within one postal day, so that is pleasing news. Regards Terry

Last edited:

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
Hmmm, that's interesting. I never got a guarantee card either.

My Windsor was replaced with a Lithium Polymer one after all the intermittent stopping and going. The new one started off lovely apart from the odd occasional failure for the power to come in when I started off. It's been getting more frequent lately and happens when you're riding along at a decent speed as well. Shutting the throttle on and off a few times without pedalling brings the power back. That's how the old one was from the day I got it - it progressed to running away at traffic lights and on pavements when I wasn't doing anything at all - by the time I handed it back, it was a relief to get rid.

I'm worried this one could be going the same way. - I've only done about 200 miles on it. I haven't told the bike shop yet - I almost don't dare after all the trouble the first bike caused.

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Don't let the bone go

Hi Nin26,

Was the battery or the whole ebike replaced? Its possible the faults could be down to the Motor Control board (MCB), spurious signals are generating perhaps causing the motor to drive or not to drive. I know it also could be caused by various sensors, throttle control, broken wires, hub motor and everything else that hangs off of the MCB etc. I see that there maybe a diagnostic port or a method of uploading or reloading possibly configuration or programs. It might be worth asking whether or not they have the diagnostic tools, knowledge and Powacycle technical support to use this port.

Have a look at link http://www.kellycontroller.com/mot/KellyKEBUserManual.pdf it seems a popular controller, certainly the Powacycle Lynx LPX and other models appear to be users of the MCB, and the PDF file trouble shooting and diagrams, might help with a better understanding of the fault you are experiencing.

Don't let the problem rest ask what they think the MTBF (mean time between failure) rate is for both the MCB and the wheel hub motor - go back to the shop and request that the fault is rectified. You will find they will be only too pleased to maintain their good name, or cease trading with any bad supplier which will effect their profitabilty.

I predict the electric bicycle will be a very fast seller over the next few years, as the fuel crisis gathers momentum. Keep in touch - Regards Terry

Last edited: