New power assisted invention no batteries

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Cycling Weekly: Spring-powered wheel claims to be ‘E-bike alternative at lower cost’.
I remember but can't find a video (1930's?) of a related invention to capture 'suspension' energy as motive energy, capturing suspended movement of the saddle. It shows them going down a bumpy hill and generating a lot of excess motive energy at a time it most certainly was not wanted.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Cycling Weekly: Spring-powered wheel claims to be ‘E-bike alternative at lower cost’.
it's a silly idea. The springs need energy to compress before giving it back when decompressing. Where does that energy to compress the springs come from?

It's the same as wishing the two bricks you carry on the luggage rack are going to help you going downhill faster while forgetting that you have to take them uphill first.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
it's a silly idea. The springs need energy to compress before giving it back when decompressing. Where does that energy to compress the springs come from?

It's the same as wishing the two bricks you carry on the luggage rack are going to help you going downhill faster while forgetting that you have to take them uphill first.
Maybe he uses an electric motor to "wind up" his clockwork toy?
;):(:mad:o_O:eek:
Just a thought!
Maybe he never heard of conservation of energy either....
Regards
Andy

Reactions: richtea99

k2397

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2020
Lagos, Portugal
Woosh is right. I share his view that this is indeed a silly idea.

A good bicycle is already an efficient device for converting energy into forward motion. The main issue is drag - which is why it is possible to cycle at over 150mph if air resistance is eliminated. There are also various areas of friction, and of course one has to overcome inertia to get going.

The "Superwheel" does nothing to reduce drag or friction, and as it is very heavy it will increase inertia. So how can it offer a "more than 30% energy efficiency improvement"? If this thing was for real, it would be fitted to all wheeled vehicles, not just bikes.

In physics, though, you don't get something for nothing. There has been a long history of people trying to harness the force of gravity/weight to produce a perpetual motion machine.

Has anyone tested this scientifically? Say you had two otherwise identical crank-drive e-bikes, one with a "Superwheel" and one with a normal wheel. You could ride them side by side an see which consumed more electricity over a given journey. If the "Superwheel" offered the claimed 30%+ advantage it would be a clear winner.

I would put money on the normal wheel winning.

Reactions: Andy-Mat