New (Returning) Member

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone. :)

Many thanks for the kind words.

Keeping things short.... Sadly life has rather gotten in the way of thing over the last two years or so, and the pandemic sort of screwed my whole interest in along with many other things, cycling. Odd how things turn out.

Over the last couple of years, I have sold the KTM, tried a bit of road riding on a nearly new Reise Muller Roadster that I picked up cheaply. But road riding didn't do it for me either, and I probably rode 200 miles over the two year period. I just couldn't get any enthusiasm for bikes.

I got into a bit of wild camping that I really enjoyed, with no technology or people, and then suddenly a few months ago I hit upon the following YT channel of a guy using an Ebike for camping exploits.
Suddenly, I knew what I wanted to be doing and the type of bike that I wanted to be using. I am no longer interested in epic mud covered rides, and I simply want a bike to pop to the shops on, explores few green lanes and bridleways, and use for pack packing.
I also wanted something that I could work on and develop.

One bike that I have always liked is the Radrover 5. A utilitarian bike that ticks alot of boxes for me.
As it isn't available any more, I have opted for the clone of the bike as shown in the YT channel, a Hemiway Cruiser. I have only just bought it, and am waiting for it to arrive.
It is far from perfect and has faults including a thin motor wire that fuses the connector. The importer is crap, as is the very sketchy warranty. I'm not really fussed about the warranty, as I intend for the bike to evolve over time, be that components or motor/controller . Choosing a bike that didn't have an integrated battery was also intentional.

For me this bike is more about the frame than anything else, especially with the four bolt holes on the headstock. I also intend to sort a cargo trailer out at some point. I notice that is now covered on the forum which is great.

I am hoping that having a simplistic bike that I can work on, and upgrade, with give me back what I have been missing. I also hope to carry out a long term review of it as things progress.

Here is a random clip from the guy that has inspired me.

Reactions: Nealh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im still not dead :p and it goes even faster now with the custom cx motor from peter ;)

DSC_0261_01.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not these days im the slowest on the road electric wise i only got a 20A controller twat past me the other day going at least 50mph on a fkn scooter no splat hat and why i have those retard rammers on my handle bars.

you need a crash helmet now just walking round the shop :oops:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
EPJ good to see you back and still in the land of the living.
A lot of cyclists whether on E or unpowered have seen changes since the first lock down and a lot likewise just haven't got back in the saddle as previously.

I myself am one most of my use now is utilitarian and for the greater good my beekeeping where I now have the Ute and a dedicated CF modded trailer to carry all of my wares.

I think you may enjoy adapting and moddifying your new ebike with more generic electronics , at least they will be something that can be fault tested rather then off to Bosh to be repaired. You will for sure enter the proper world of DIY ebiking.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What about the job and the creative artwork/ joinery, are you still involved in the trade.
No need to answer if the subject is off limits.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I ended up lost in woods towing a 15.5kg cheapo Homcom trailer containing 76+kg of water, while trying to find a shortcut to avoid a ravine... it was murder, it's noname tyres were useless. One advantage that has over the Carry Freedom Small Y (I think, will measure the CF's rims properly), is that the Homcom's rims are wide enough for Schwalbe Big Ben Plus, and perhaps even wider tyres.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For wild camping side of things and trail riding if not taking a dog along for the ride, I'd opt for the Burley coho xc with 3" or 4" fat tyre option. If carry load stability is needed then a two wheel trailer, end of day it depends on the usage and load capability.
One reason why I opted for the CF large, it's weight carrying ability and stability. Something a single wheel trailer can't manage for my usage.

Tomorrow is going to be another glorious winters day with lots of sun and blu sky's, first run out tomorrow to the bees with the newly modified CF with it's new brazed sub frame which some may recall I made up end of last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've searched in vain for pedelecs and bicycle trailers with tank tracks. With powerful electric motors, such mad things could become viable... for trekking through woods, over snow and our ever more profusely potholed roads.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
ICE full fat...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
What about the job and the creative artwork/ joinery, are you still involved in the trade.
No need to answer if the subject is off limits.
Sorry, I actually meant to say about that as well. Last April after 34 years of being self employed, I made the decision to get a full time job. The last job that I did being self employed, caused some permanent shoulder damage, and decided that enough was enough.
I am now part of the maintenance team at a certain zoo park in our area. It's going pretty well, although I average between 6 and 10 miles a day walking, which is also taking It's toll. I also don't have the free time that I used to, but not having to think about work after I have clocked off, is a lovely feeling.

As an observation, I see that the forum now has a utility bike section. That's brilliant news.

I missed a second hand Burley trailer yesterday on Ebay, but I am in no rush, so one will come along when the time is right.

Great to read that you still have your bees. We sadly lost Ours last year, but I did think about you with yours, and wondered how you were getting on.:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

skip to 7mins now thats what you call a trailer lmfao ;)

• :D
Reactions: Nealh and EddiePJ

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The e cargo, utility section isn't overly used but is pretty handy so one can keep some topics from being lost in the main sections. Then again my Ute cargo build thread may have been enough to dissaude many from looking :eek:.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
He's the bike equivalent of Fred Dibnah, even his dialect is similar with his tones.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well id take the jet washer to the bins and use there water and £5 each. ;)

or get a surron and tow 50 behind you and then its £10 each and will be so clean ill even mod two to live in it :D