New shifter for freshly converted ebike

BikeSnail

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
Hi, I installed a TSDZ2 in my old Raleigh ladies bike and while converting my gear shifter (holding up by the power of hot glue) gave up the ghost. I picked an inexpensive Shimano 8 speed Altus shifter to replace the old Sram TRX and match my Shimano Acera Derailleur. Will this be sufficient? Are there any ebike constrains I should consider? I prefer a click shifter and have just installed Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes. The chain has been replaced around 100 miles ago. Many thanks,

Attachments

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I think any shifter, so long as it's 8 speed, will do the job. Different models achieve up and down shift in different ways. Mine a Seam something or other and have a long and short lever, both thumb push - I like 'em.
I've found a much smoother change since fitting a KMC Xchain.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
If possible I would add an Altus derailleur they are by far one of the best the derailleur I have used. I have a 7 speed on a megarange freewheel best decision I ever made. Not sure if they did an 8 speed megarange though but still the Altus derailleur would look good. I would say an shimano HG40 chain.