New tires.

trevbaker47

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2019
Have now completed the FIRST 1000 miles on my Carrera crossfuse, yesterday changed my tyres to Schwalbe
marathon plus 700 X 35. Went out for a ride today quite a revolution, mostly flat tarmac with some canal towpaths as well, on the flat maintaining a speed of approximately 17 mph with no tyre noise had to keep looking at the speedometer to check what speed I was doing. Would highly recommend 28 miles great result.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I changed my bike tyres to these too, 26x2" and was very impressed by the promoted 7/7 puncture resistance. Alas, on my very first outing I had my first puncture in 3100 miles and my heart sank.

On investigating, it seems it was a faulty inner tube having had three from the same batch split in the same spot on the same seam rather than anything related to the tyres. Phew!

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just be aware that there is one problem with Schwalbe MPs. They're completely puncture proof and good for 20,000 miles, but to achieve those the rubber is hard as nails, so the grip is very poor, especially in wet or greasy conditions - as you'll find out sooner or later!

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
No complaints from me. I've been cycling on wet grass, wet roads and wet grit, done a little hard braking and found their grip to be excellent. Really impressed so far and exceeded expectations.

trevbaker47

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2019
Just be aware that there is one problem with Schwalbe MPs. They're completely puncture proof and good for 20,000 miles, but to achieve those the rubber is hard as nails, so the grip is very poor, especially in wet or greasy conditions - as you'll find out sooner or later!
I'm afraid I've become a fine weather rider so hopefully I won't be experiencing that problem. Many years ago I had them fitted to me other bike and my wife's bike and we done lands end to John O Groat's in some bad weather with no problems.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

I agree with this 100% and stopped using them a good few years back. Personally I advocate schwalbe smart sams for mixed riding by which I mean proper off road but also tarmac. They have a centre line but knobby edges. I use them on my go anywhere hardtail . I recently bought 2.1 in error when my 2.25 wore out. Mistake , they are too low volume for my liking off road. With no gain on road - well, as far as I can tell.

For mostly road and lighter trails /gravel I rather like Continental travel contact. I use these on my 700c hybrid. These are noticeable faster and grippier than the marathons

Neither are as bullet proof as a the M+ of course but both are pretty decent. I've had one puncture on the sams in 3500 miles (at least half off road). The conti I have had around 3 across two bikes. Bit of a guess mileage wise but probably around the 3000 mark for those

I do think it worth buying half decent inner tubes. Not no name eBay rubbish. Planet x generally have good deals . Worth getting on their email list . When they do a deal, they really do a deal

take a turn on a slight downhill incline at more than a few mph and those marathons are trouble !

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
The punture proof comes more from the inner lining, not the external. They may be a harder rubber, but after thousands of km, have never noticed poor grip.

Reactions: trevbaker47

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You get tyres with soft rubber that stick like ** to a blanket and wear out in no time, and you get tyres made of hard rubber that last forever and are dodgy in the wet. MPs are in the second category.