New to e bikes .chargeing question

Doctor john

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2021
As a newcomer ( less than 100 miles .3 days and 1 charge )to e bikes .
My question is.. Can I recharge my bike at a car charging point should I decide to go for an extended ride ?
Thanks in advance to anyone that can enlighten me on this.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As a newcomer ( less than 100 miles .3 days and 1 charge )to e bikes .
My question is.. Can I recharge my bike at a car charging point should I decide to go for an extended ride ?
Thanks in advance to anyone that can enlighten me on this.
The simple answer is no. The charger is low power and uses a normal 3-pin mains plug.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
But if carrying your charger you can exploit such charging options as coffee, tea shops and many pubs like Wetherspoons, those that typically offer laptop charging.

Reactions: UrbanPuma

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Just looked up a type 2 plug. To make up a lead. It seems they only sell gold plated diamond encrusted models! £70 upwards. Slightly cheaper on Alibaba. Hopefully they will drop in price as EVs get more popular.

Terry777

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2021
Edinburgh
Which battery do you have? If you’ll use it plenty and don’t want to wait in a cafe for a couple hours at a time. You get some batteries quite cheap on eBay or whatever as a back up if spending the £’s is worth it for you to carry a second battery to quick change?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Just looked up a type 2 plug. To make up a lead. It seems they only sell gold plated diamond encrusted models! £70 upwards. Slightly cheaper on Alibaba. Hopefully they will drop in price as EVs get more popular.
Anyone making their own T2>BS1363 adapter cable needs to include a manual release switch, else they won't be able to remove it from the charger once charging has completed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
ebike battery cells won't last long if rapid charging and most BMS won't take rapid charging, even 5a is too much for most cells if you want decent life cycle. Don't forget most have only 4 or 5 cells in parallel unlike an EV.
A spare battery or greater capacity may be best otherwise as Dave has intimated one may have to spend a lot on coffee or tea at a cafe/coffee shop to sit around for many hours.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
ebike battery cells won't last long if rapid charging and most BMS won't take rapid charging, even 5a is too much for most cells if you want decent life cycle. Don't forget most have only 4 or 5 cells in parallel unlike an EV.
A spare battery or greater capacity may be best otherwise as Dave has intimated one may have to spend a lot on coffee or tea at a cafe/coffee shop to sit around for many hours.
A 'rapid' EV charger wont charge your battery any quicker than a 'domestic' 13A socket, since the charge rate is still regulated by your ebike charger.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Type 2 plugs can be found on AliExpress for around £30 delivered:

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
A 'rapid' EV charger wont charge your battery any quicker than a 'domestic' 13A socket, since the charge rate is still regulated by your ebike charger.
Are EV rapid chargers outputting European mains voltages and frequencies to even power the e-bikes mains charger?
Genuine question, as I have presently no idea what the standard interface voltage and or frequencies are, and just surprised with Tesla being a big player in EVs, the European mains is the "standard".

Terry777

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2021
Edinburgh
I have a F300 5A charger. I’m sure it’s nothing special, China special probably! My bike has two 17ah 48v batteries, it’s the newer 21700 cells that’s in it. It takes around 5hrs to charge them fully but that’s with a little still in them, so probably 6hrs from empty. I’ve never run them to empty. I’m sure the battery indicator was at 15% or there about when I checked. I know the % meter isn’t completely accurate on these things but I don’t know far out it really is.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Are EV rapid chargers outputting European mains voltages and frequencies to even power the e-bikes mains charger?
Genuine question, as I have presently no idea what the standard interface voltage and or frequencies are, and just surprised with Tesla being a big player in EVs, the European mains is the "standard".
All European AC EV chargers, regardless of charging speed, output 230VAC and are converted into DC by a rectifier located inside the vehicle. Their output current defines whether they are ‘slow’, ‘fast’ or ‘rapid’ chargers. Charging speed is irrelevant when using them to charge a regular electric bike battery, since the charge rate is regulated by your regular battery charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocsid

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Which is true for cars too of course. Plug your 3kw BMW X1 hybrid into any sort of 'fast' charger and it charges at .. 3kw.