Help! New to E-mtb, looking for advice haibike sduro fullseven v giant stance e+ 2 v focus jam2

Bob275

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 25, 2019
Hello All and thanks for the add.
I've been riding the same Kona hard tail for 10 years and after my wife brought herself a Carrera Crossfire I struggle to keep up on the hills.
After reading about e-mtbs and a discussion while on a charity ride with someone on a emtb (while i could keep up until he got fed up waiting) I think a new set of wheels is in order.
I have in sight 3 options - haibike sduro fullseven, giant stance e+ 2 or focus jam2.
the Haibike looks great value available from £2150.00 (typicly £2250-£2500), the Giant at £2800 I would prefer but is the extra £300-£500 worth it? as for the Focus this is a bit new to me so not really looked too much in to this.
Can anyone offer advise on what to look for (or look out for)?
Typically ride trails, tracks, old rail & canal paths, the Ridgway & woods if it makes much difference.
Many thanks for any advice.
Bob.

Bob275

Jul 25, 2019
Just been reviewing the Jam 2, it's a bit more that the other 2 @ £2961 (reduced from £3700), although this looks to have good spec I think this might be just outside of budget unless it's a absolute cracking machine.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK

Bob275

Jul 25, 2019
I think he is after a F/S judging by his choices

But out of the 3 posted I would suggest you get out and ride them
as only you can ultimately decide as there all pretty good bikes
Correct Fat Rat, mins set on f/s, one in there it’s hard not to want to go down that path.
I am looking to test ride the SDURO tomorrow at a LBS, there is a Giant dealer to but need to see if they have a demo to try. Think I’ve ruled out the Focus as it’s a little more expensive, the giant is also just over budget but I suppose it would depend on the feel and ride.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Correct Fat Rat, mins set on f/s, one in there it’s hard not to want to go down that path.
I am looking to test ride the SDURO tomorrow at a LBS, there is a Giant dealer to but need to see if they have a demo to try. Think I’ve ruled out the Focus as it’s a little more expensive, the giant is also just over budget but I suppose it would depend on the feel and ride.
Enjoy your test ride

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Bob275,

You won't go far wrong with the Haibike Sduro Full Seven if my own experiences are anything to go by:

Also test ride the Giant Stance e+ 2 and then make your mind up.

Dealer backup is important as well.

Bob275

Jul 25, 2019
Bob275,

You won't go far wrong with the Haibike Sduro Full Seven if my own experiences are anything to go by:

Also test ride the Giant Stance e+ 2 and then make your mind up.

Dealer backup is important as well.
Thanks Eagle,
I had already read your review and this is why I’m keen to try the Sduro. Great review with the right information for someone new to e-mtb. I like the no drag freewheel over 15.5 as this was a worry having to put in extra effort - not the reason for a emtb.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bob275

Jul 25, 2019
Hi all, thought I’d give you an update since it’s been long enough to give a honest opinion.
I did buy the Haibike Sduro 1.0 full suspension and it is a awesome machine. So far clocked up 250 or so miles and every one has been fantastic. From tottering about for half hour to 3 hour 60 mile on the ridgeway. For anyone thinking of dipping their toe in the emtb world this is an excellent machine. To be honest I don’t see the advantage of spending 5-10k on a bike but I suppose it depends on what you want, ligher components & carbon frame but that’s rasi off set when you’re 10kgs overweight
Really pleased with my bike, so far no issues (kiss of death) and every time I go out I have a smile. It’s really hard to motivate myself to use my old MTB or even my road bike as this is so good at everything but I do just so I realise just how good the Sduro is.