New to ebikes

Jeremy Marks

Just Joined
Dec 22, 2015
Hi
Very long intro with lots of questions, I am completely new to electric bikes.

I live and work in southern france and recently a client of mine was clearing out her house for a return to the UK and she asked if i wanted to buy her ex partners electric bikes. I thought what the hell why not i can always swap and move bits aound to make it go and have some fun doing it, i love to tinker with stuff.
Well it turns out that sight useen i have bought, wait for it........
2 x a2b metros and 4 external batteries for the rear rack
1 x fast4ward peak. Completely unused
1 x fastward edge. Completely unused

Moving onto yesterday i have plugged in the peak and the battery is charging as far as i can tell.
I have plugged in two of the metro external batteries and they seem to be charging i will change over and plug in the other two later and see.

As for the frame batteries on the metros i plugged them in but i can get nothing showing on the handlebars and the charger does nothing it seems. Is there a switch apart from the key? Are these dead completely ? Or can i remove it and jump it using a different battery? I have done this with lithium ion batteries up to 24 volts on power tools and it works to get it back on the charger and charging 50% of the time or will this damage the electronics? I am aware that it is not recommended, but when you are stuck you will try anything.

As for the edge can anyone recomend where i can get a charger from? as this battery does not have one, here in france the bike shops even with electric bikes just look bemused and say not possible.
The peak and edge are both showing 0 cycles for the battery as the bikes are at least 3 years old does that mean the batteries are as good as new or will only hold a charge for a while? Or has the unit reset itself.

Last question
If the frame batteries ar dead can i remove them and replace with another battery externally and wire into the controller so i can still use the key to switch between them?

I think that is it, for now anyway. I am looking forward to using the bikes a lot when I can get them sorted so I am sure to be back with more questions, since i can get no information from the manufacturers.

Jeremy

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
If the batteries have been unused for three years they will almost certainly be dead. Not familiar with these but if they are sophisticated modern designs which go to sleep when unused they might not be. They’re only on the more expensive bikes though.

New batteries are available, and if the exact one isn’t any more a different one can be wired in. Don’t know how though, so best re ask that question here when you know what’s what with them and someone will tell you I’m sure.

Jeremy Marks

Just Joined
Dec 22, 2015
Hi john.
Thanks for the reply. I think you are right and the batteries are dead, I will tinker with them just for fun though and see what happens. If they are dead then I will replace them. Just had a quick go on the peak with pedal assist, really good fun.
Jeremy