New to Electric Bikes

trailbear

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Hi Folks

I am new to the electric pedal cycle world and would welcome some advice.
I generally cycle back and forward to work with a round trip of about 30 miles.
It's fine going to work, however, I am increasingly frustrated by the return journey which
is mostly uphill and almost always into the wind.

I would like something to just help make the journey a little easier.
I like to consider myself as reasonably fit but riding into the wind late at night after work is a bit of a struggle sometimes.

I have only tried a few electirc bikes and have been quite impressesd by the ones I have tried. ( Kalkhoff and a few of the BH e motion bikes including the neo cross and extreme )

I currrently ride a Cannondale Bad Boy, which is in pretty much brand new condition.
I would like to continue to ride/use the bike and have considered fitting a conversion kit which would have the added benefit of returning the bike to non assisted if need be.
I have briefly looked at the Cyclezee / Falco and Cyclotricity conversion kits.
Apparently the oxygen kit doesn't work with hydraulic brakes unfortunately.

I don't have much experience with either the bikes or the conversion kits and am now pretty confused.

It's difficult to test ride bikes, converted or not up here in Scotland as there aren't many dealers.
Obviously bikes are a personal choice but any advice would be helpful to a complete newbie.
I do have access to charging facilities at work so that wouldn't be a problem.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hi trailbear and welcome. After the initial excitement of the purchase decision you are left with a bike and an electric motor. With the amount of mileage you are up against best get a good one of both. The bigger the hub motor the more powerful it will be. A crank drive can be smaller but still seem as powerful which is good. If you're a serious guy who dwells on the periphery and needs to get to B from A in a sensible time frame then you might also consider the grey area ie. ska. the 48v option.

D

Deleted member 4366

None of the kits or conversions work with hydraulic brakes except kits like the Falco and Bionx ones, although you can get round the problem by changing the back brake to a cable one, which is no big deal because it's the front one that does all the stopping. Cable-disc back brakes can still be very good. You can then fit one of the sensors to the back brake, and that's all you need.

Given your present level of fitness, I'd say that just about any electric bike will do the job. It's just a question of how much you want to pay and how fast you want to go..

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Trialbear,please try to come along to one of our roadshows,you will be surprised at how different ebikes can feel. The event at Redbridge is the best attended,but we are also near Stoke on Trent,Leicester and St Austell during April.
KudosDave

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I have a Kudos tourer which will take me 30 miles on a battery but since you can charge the battery at work that would be best since you don't want to run flat a mile downhill from home.

The tourer is comfortable enough for me over that distance, with my pump up seat from Lidl a couple of years ago.

Where in Scotland are you? There's a dealer in Dundee.

trailbear

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Thanks for the replies.
I suppose it's just going to take time to find either the right kit or bike
I am just outside Edinburgh so Dundee isn't too much of a journey!

David

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6

David Webley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2013
I'd also suggest a trip to Alien Ocean in Lochgelly. Give them ring first to arrange a meeting. If you want a test ride I'd suggest you ask them what they want in terms of ID / Deposit. I found the guy quite helpful and they not only sell kits they do a fitting service as well. The only reason I did not buy one of their bikes was that i wanted a folder and got a great deal from Kudos.