New to electric

bowserman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2020
Hi all, brilliant forum, very informative.

After a long period of not cycling after a major illness and some operations I have taken the plunge and purchased (well my wife has) a Woosh Camino.
Was originally looking at a Decathlon crank motor bike which a friend has, but availability seems to be problematic, and I dont like to wait. Also, they seem to have upped the price a couple of hundred pounds too, so my original idea of Bike2Work didnt seem worth it.

I was never a real road biker, mainly mountain bikes and the last bike i bought was a Dawes Discovery which I did a 500 mile sponsored trip from Edinburgh to Troon, then Larne to Dublin and finally holyhead to Bristol. This was 10 years ago when I was 50 and pre cancer.

The bike arrived on Wednesday after placing the order on Monday evening, so cant fault that.

A huge box awaited me when i returned from work and I got to work assembling the loose pieces. In no time at all it was all together, the only broken bit being the bell, which I might have broken myself getting it out the box, and they only cost pennies to buy. Charged the battery and yesterday had a little blast on it around the block. Had a smile on my face when I experienced the ride and cant wait to get out on it properly. I only work 5 miles away and admit, when I have a car on the drive, wont be riding to work unless the weather forecast is dry. If its ok tomorrow I am going to do a test ride to work and back, which will be electric off on the way there as its downhill and flat, and electric for the return and incline.

Had a good read of the manual, and it seems to note that spokes coming loose can be a problem. Is this true of all hub drives and is it just a case of nipping up affected spokes? How regularly would I expect this to occur? Unless I missed this, I think it would be beneficial to include rear wheel removal in the manual, in the case of punctures. I intend to put some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on in the future as I never had a puncture with these on my last bike in over 2 thousand miles.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pluck the spokes like a guitar string they should give a telling taut note when tensioned, though the note from each side are often different as one side has more tension then the other with hub wheels. Any dull notes usually indicates an un-tensioned spoke.
In general I have little or no issues at all with my hub bikes unless I hit a bad pot hole.

Reactions: bowserman

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all, brilliant forum, very informative.

After a long period of not cycling after a major illness and some operations I have taken the plunge and purchased (well my wife has) a Woosh Camino.
Was originally looking at a Decathlon crank motor bike which a friend has, but availability seems to be problematic, and I dont like to wait. Also, they seem to have upped the price a couple of hundred pounds too, so my original idea of Bike2Work didnt seem worth it.

it seems to note that spokes coming loose can be a problem. Is this true of all hub drives
No, it's nothing to do with the type of motor. It's a reflection of the quality of wheel-building. It just happens that the quality of wheel-building can be sadly lacking from some Chinese factories, and many bikes with hub-motors come from Chinese factories.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that bikes with hub-motors all come from bad Chinese factories. Most are very good.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I think it would be beneficial to include rear wheel removal in the manual, in the case of punctures.
Welcome to the forum Bowser.

Just a bit of info that will (hopefully) save you some aggro- you don't need to remove the wheel to fix a puncture.

Break the tyre bead over the outside of the rim, pull the tube outside, find/ fix the puncture. Reassembly is the reversal of removal.

Obviously this won't work if you need to replace the tube for any reason, although you can use gaadi tubes instead.

Reactions: bowserman

bowserman

Oct 10, 2020
Welcome to the forum Bowser.

Just a bit of info that will (hopefully) save you some aggro- you don't need to remove the wheel to fix a puncture.

Break the tyre bead over the outside of the rim, pull the tube outside, find/ fix the puncture. Reassembly is the reversal of removal.

Obviously this won't work if you need to replace the tube for any reason, although you can use gaadi tubes instead.
See, just learnt something there. didint know about these Gaadi tubes.

bowserman

Oct 10, 2020
Just had a test ride to work and back. Its only around 5 miles each way, downhill and flat there. Had no electric on outbound and switched it on for the return. 30 mins there and 22 mins back. Came back on a different route which is 90% housing estate roads and hard cycle track, which i will be using for the outbound until the nicer weather arrives again.