New to pedelecs and need advice on what sort of bike I should get

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
I currently have a 1.1 mile walk/drive to the station each morning. The walk is around 20 minutes but I live at the top of a long hill. Google maps says that the walk back from the station is a ~130 foot climb which on a regular bike, I just won't enjoy.

The roads are all fairly quiet and pothole free so no need for any crazy off road parts.

I was looking to get this bike on a cycle to work scheme which I understand has a maximum spend of £1000 although I am waiting for my employer to get back to me on whether I can top this up myself. If I can, I would expect to spend up to £1500 but obviously only if it's worth while - after all doing 2.2 miles per day really isn't that much especially given I will barely be pedalling at all on my way down the hill to the station and certainly don't expect to be using the motor.

I know you won't really get a bike for this price with regenerative brakes but that would theoretically be ideal for energy consumption for me.

Happy to have suggestions on actual bikes or just motors or bike types I should be looking for.

Thanks for any help you can give.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need to think about security. It would be a shame if it wasn't there when you came home from work. You need to make sure you have that covered before thinking about which bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you have to leave the bike at the station.
Buy one you can afford to lose, just in case.

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
Thanks for the comments. I think that the station is relatively safe as there are lots of cameras and a taxi rank right in front of the bike rack which is manned 24/7. That being said, I will probably go overboard with security.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Would you use the bike for anything else? Weekend touring etc.?
Because if not a £1500 ebike is overkill for a total 2 mile commute.

You won't be on it long enough to care about most of the things that matter to us on here.
It's almost a shame for you that powered scooters aren't legal yet.

A brand new Cube or Motus is just going to be a thief magnet (for the £600 battery if nothing else).

Maybe one of those cheap and cheerful chinese micro bikes would do - or a second hand Gtech or similar.
You can get refurbished Gtechs for about £600 I understand.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I agree a Cube or Motus would be overkill if that is all you want it for. After a couple of weeks you might well find 130ft climb is not much on a regular bike; but there will be those days where you still don't relish it. Not sure how well a Gtech will tackle your hill. Something like a Woosh Crusa might do, much cheaper than Cube/Motus but not too basic and should be reliable. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?crusa

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Well if it's 40m of climb over 1.7km that's only an average of 2.3%. So I would expect any ebike at all should be able to get up it.

The Woosh is nicer mind and if OP did want to do more with the bike, would be much more capable than an absolute bargain basement bike.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
No electric bikes like being left out in the pouring rain. Something else for you to think about and overcome.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I'd walk for that distance, about 14 mins for me, or buy a very very cheap bike, no motors required at all for that distance.

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
I'd walk for that distance, about 14 mins for me, or buy a very very cheap bike, no motors required at all for that distance.
I walk pretty fast and it's about 18 minutes, any faster and I'd be sweating by the time i get to the station.

Well if it's 40m of climb over 1.7km that's only an average of 2.3%. So I would expect any ebike at all should be able to get up it.

The Woosh is nicer mind and if OP did want to do more with the bike, would be much more capable than an absolute bargain basement bike.
You're right about 2.3% not being bad but naturally, there are some up and down bits right by the station and a ~115 foot climb over 0.5 miles or so.

Would you use the bike for anything else? Weekend touring etc.?
Because if not a £1500 ebike is overkill for a total 2 mile commute.
I don't initially plan on doing any more than the commute but who knows, I may actually enjoy cycling and like to spend a bit more time on the road. I don't expect to be doing any big tours or anything even then as my wife is fairly against me riding a bike on any busy roads - part of the reason I'm not buying an electric motorbike instead (that and the 10k+ price tag they come with).

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
No electric bikes like being left out in the pouring rain. Something else for you to think about and overcome.
What do people do about leaving bikes locked up in non-sheltered areas? This could be a serious consideration against getting an ebike if it's something that will significantly shorten the lifespan of the bike/parts.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thanks for the recommendation. Are woosh bikes sold at any big retailers? I am looking to make use of my company's cycle to work scheme which uses www.cyclescheme.co.uk. I've not been able to find this bike on any approved retailers so far.
Woosh only sell direct as far as I know. I thought they could supply to cycle schemes, but maybe different schemes have slightly different rules?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What do people do about leaving bikes locked up in non-sheltered areas? This could be a serious consideration against getting an ebike if it's something that will significantly shorten the lifespan of the bike/parts.
They either buy spare parts and fix it themselves or take the bike to the dealer and pay him/her to fix it.

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
They either buy spare parts and fix it themselves or take the bike to the dealer and pay him/her to fix it.
I don't know much about ebikes but I have an engineering background so I'm sure I'd fix it myself. I know this is going to be one of those finger in the air questions but how often should I expect to have to replace parts and how much would I be spending?

This is assuming I cycle to the station 5 days per week and the bike gets rained on ~1.5 of those days (according to the met office it rains on 29% of days in London).

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't know much about ebikes but I have an engineering background so I'm sure I'd fix it myself. I know this is going to be one of those finger in the air questions but how often should I expect to have to replace parts and how much would I be spending?

This is assuming I cycle to the station 5 days per week and the bike gets rained on ~1.5 of those days (according to the met office it rains on 29% of days in London).
It could be after the first time you leave it out all day in the rain, depending which bike you buy. There aren't any electric bikes that I'd be happy to leave out in the rain. Some are more resistant than others, but it's not possible to give any realistic data to make a decision. The only sensible solution is to keep rain off with a suitable cover or a cover (or other protection) for each vulnerable part.

Mysteriously, riding in the rain doesn't seem to be as problematic as leaving out in the rain. One theory (only a theory) is that the components, like battery and LCD have air in them that expands and vents when they get warm, then, when you leave the bike, they cool down, which makes the air contract and suck in water.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I'm not trying to put you off having an electric bike. I'm just trying to help you make an informed choice. The weather forecasts are petty reliable these days. You should still be able to use the bike for at least half the time on the days it won't rain.