New to Pedelecs

davetez

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2019
York UK
Just taken the plunge & bought this, a Cube Touring Hybrid One 500. Really pleased with it so far. Took it for its 1st decent ride today of 29 miles. Discovered the hard way that the standard saddle isn’t very comfortable on long rides. Any recommendations?
First rode a Pedelec on holiday in Lanzarote, hired a couple of bikes for a day, I chose a conventional bike, my girlfriend tried a Pedelec & I just couldn’t keep up with her! We were both impressed with it & decided to look into buying some back home.
It rides really well, motor quickly spins the bike up to 15mph silently & effortlessly, I found myself regularly riding in the 16-17 mph range on leg power alone! Slightest bit of an incline, speed dropped & motor assistance cuts in to keep up the pace seamlessly & very discretely giving a reassuring push.
Gearing is quite low, bike is able to set off from a standstill in the upper gear ranges & once in 9th downhill can sometimes run past the 105rpm? limit the motor can cope with.
Range-wise, after my 29 mile ride, the indicator was showing 47 remaining in eco, 27 in tour 20 in sport & 18 in turbo so 76 eco, 56 tour, 49 sport & 47 turbo total range, rather less than the optimistic 100+ miles quoted for eco when the battery was 1st charged. (Obviously depends on how & where it’s ridden & by whom)
Cube’s range of machines is rather bewildering & I think I made the right £/spec choice.
Basically the more you pay, the better the spec, you can see where cost cuts have been made, cheap grips, saddle, seat post, Purion display, non lock out forks etc
After demonstrating the bike to a friend we swapped for a while & I rode his non electric Gazelle Dutch style machine, couldn’t believe just how much better mine was to ride. A poor comparison perhaps, no doubt a thin wheeled lightweight would feel different again but I’ve chosen this route & glad I have.
Yes, very happy up to now (just need a better seat)

1AE37FC7-2279-4D28-B177-D38FA92B988D.jpeg

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I do like those. Are those grips 180 degrees out though ?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Quite a few people like the LIDL or ALDI saddles that appear from time to time. I have a LIDL touring one that I find fairly comfortable. Also dirt cheap, £7.99 the last time available. Might still have one or two left if you’re lucky. Saddle preference is a personal thing, you’ll find quite a few threads on here if you do a search.