New Tongsheng mid drive kit won't power up

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's not easy to probe the charge socket with that small jack. What charge state do the battery indictor lights show?

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Battery indicator lights show no charge at all. I press the little button by the lights on the battery - no lights at all. Put the battery on the bike - no LCD display at all.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Battery indicator lights show no charge at all. I press the little button by the lights on the battery - no lights at all. Put the battery on the bike - no LCD display at all.
Are you absolutely sure that the battery is switched on? Wiggle the switch a few times to make sure, and try it in both positions.

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Are you absolutely sure that the battery is switched on? Wiggle the switch a few times to make sure, and try it in both positions.

Yep - just triple checked. Voltage reading is 1.2 no matter whether the red toggle switch on the battery is On or Off. Wiggled it, tried again, same result. Just to be sure, I tried it with the key in and out of the lock, and with the lock engaged and disengaged. No matter what combination of these I tried, I got the same reading of 1.2

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
PSWPower - "Alice", has asked me to send them the battery for repair at a German address. So, with the help and support of Pedelec community, I'm hoping to get this sorted fairly quickly.
Unfortunately, it turns out that you are prohibited from shipping faulty Lithium batteries overseas. I'll ask PSWPower for a full refund, and I've opened a case with PayPal.

Last edited:

Sailorbass

Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2020
Quick update: PSWPower/"Alice" has behaved extremely well, and I'd like to say so publicly. I was asked to send various photos of multimeter readings for the battery, charger and fuse, which I did - seemed a very reasonable request to me. No comebacks from them - just a request to send the battery to Germany for repair. As it turned out, I couldn't because of all the tight shipping regulations regarding Lithium batteries, especially faulty ones. No argument from PSWPower about this, and they offered to send me a new battery and charger. We quickly agreed that I would pay the shipping costs for this, because I would have paid shipping costs to get the duff battery to them, if I that had have been allowed. Seemed entirely reasonable to me.
No problem with communications between myself and Alice - she replied to all of my emails within 24 hours and at no point came across as difficult or evasive. Just sayin'...

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Glad things are progressing - it's always good to hear how companies handle problems so thanks for the update.

Just for info, I friend arranges a lot of shipping to / from Europe and is making everyone aware that the extra admin needed after Dec 31st will cause a lot of disruption. He is reporting *big* problems have hit the supply lines in the last few days as the shipping companies he normally uses are either refusing to ship goods or are putting prices up (a full load from Germany used to be £1200 now it's £5000).
Exports going from the UK are not affected yet but he expects that to change very soon. Be prepared for delays in the not-very-distant future if buying from overseas. Hope it's soon sorted...