new tyres

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
looking to get some new tyres for my Freego Eagle. Have found some Marathon plus at SJS cycles for £20. My current ones are 26x 1.95 but they only have 1.75 or 2.0 width. Will either of these be suitable

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
2.0's should fit. looks like the mudguards have enough room for them

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
kiwi thanks for reply. I am thinking maybe I will go with the 1.75as I only tend to use on trails and a bit of road. Although I have read that the wider ones will be more comfortable

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I expect either will fit, given that you already have 1.95 tyres, albeit (presumably) a different make.

My Rose has fairly close fitting mudguards, 1.75 Marathon Pluses fit, 2.00 Pluses do not, so there is a difference in profile as well as width.

I doubt there's much in the comfort between the two, so in your case 1.75 would be the safer bet.

Bear in mind all Pluses are fairly harsh, a trade-off for their long life and class leading puncture resistance.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Just to add to Rob's comment about them being harsh. They are very sturdy tyres, so you can safely run them at the lower end of the pressure scale for more comfort.

I have mine at 35psi for grip and comfort. On an electric bike, rolling resistance isn't an issue.

Reactions: gray198

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Just to add to Rob's comment about them being harsh. They are very sturdy tyres, so you can safely run them at the lower end of the pressure scale for more comfort.

I have mine at 35psi for grip and comfort. On an electric bike, rolling resistance isn't an issue.
a final add, ive got 26 1.75 marathon plus' on a dahon espresso (as also afraid of 2.00 fouling mudguards) and they were ideal for potholed roads back in england, from the bone jarring perspective of brompton marathon plus' they seemed decidedly balloony and relatively free rolling

mick2444

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 5, 2015
i have the big apples 2.0 fit well under mud guards on my kalkoff speed endeavour good grip in most situations. suspension seat post. bumps are like driveing rolls royce silver shadow,prostate happy lol

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
i have the big apples 2.0 fit well under mud guards on my kalkoff speed endeavour good grip in most situations. suspension seat post. bumps are like driveing rolls royce silver shadow,prostate happy lol
May have a look at those. Are they puncture resistant?

thanks gray

mick2444

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 5, 2015
yes they are, me and my son cycled over 500 miles on mountain bikes in france fully loaded panniers with camping gear etc mountains ,rough canal paths, the tyres took everything we threw at them no punctures and they take the sting out of the saddle, thats why i put them straight on my electric bike when i got it.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Informative

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Schwalbe magic mary 2.35. Great cross country, and in the wet.

View attachment 15002

View attachment 15003

I prefer Maxxis High Roller II 2.40 front and Ardent 2.25 rear off road Leigh...and I can't praise the Mudhugger guard enough, ugly as sin but does what it says on the tin

DSC03442.JPG

Yeah, I know...downhill tyres on that one...but all our others run the Maxxis combination (just look at a starting grid on an enduro and you'll see the same combo on the majority of bikes)

Last edited:
  • Agree

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
I swapped my Big Apples for Marathon Plus as I experienced about two punctures every 5,000 miles or so. I chose the biggest MP (2.25 I think, available on the continent), also in 26 inch.

I expected a more harsh ride, but was still surprised by the decrease in comfort, even with reduced pressures. 200 miles later I had a screw enter the centre of the tread and exit through the sidewall.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The likes of Big Apple and Big Ben are from Schwalbe's balloon range - a they have a large air chamber for comfort.

But balloon means what it says, if the OP's bike has mudguards which are a fairly close fit on ordinary tyres, there's no way a balloon will fit.

Big Bens and Apples are excellent for turning a mountain bike into a more road/cycle path bike.

Bags of clearance on the frame, often no mudguards or only clip-ons which are inches away from the tyre.

Reactions: gray198

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
But balloon means what it says, if the OP's bike has mudguards which are a fairly close fit on ordinary tyres, there's no way a balloon will fit.
I beg to differ...

I can see daylight between the tyres and mudguards on this photo so a 2.00 wide tyre instead of a 1.95 (that is 0.05 of an inch!) is going to fit just fine.

I am running 50 mm Big Bens inside 47 mm mudguards and there is 2 mm + clearance all round. I can get away with tight clearances because I am always riding on sealed surfaces.