New Urban Mover

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
I've just bought the Urban Mover "Cruiser" (traditional "ladies bike" styling) and rode it to work today for the first time. I'll do a more detailed report when I've had it a bit longer, but here are a couple of brief notes for anyone interested.

The good bit: It's powerful enough to pull me (12 stone) up my main obstacle, Headington Hill in Oxford. I haven't measured the slope, but I've counted cyclists on it and about 50% opt to walk up, with me definitely in the "walkers" group if unpowered. Takes nearly 10 minutes, and it's a drag. Today I pedalled briskly, but not strenuously, and glided up easily, passing another bike on the way.

The questionable bit: the "variable pedal assist" seems too sensitive to me. The motor cuts in whenever the pedals are turning, regardless of how much effort I'm putting in. One down side is that I'm getting motor assist on level roads, when I don't need it, and that's going to shorted the range. Then consider this scenario: I'm coasting to a junction where I need to stop. I'm currently in high gear, but want a lower gear for pulling away. So as I approach I click the gears down, then turn the pedals to move the chain to the next sprocket... and the motor cuts in. I agree with Jonathan who reviewed a different UM model, that an on/off switch on the handlebar is needed.

Mary

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the information Mary, look forward to more when you have time. Unfortunately most of the bikes use this rather crude cut in and out sensor, and only the much missed Giant Lafree Twist series got it right with software controlled power which accurately read what was wanted from the cyclist's actions. It was expensive though, and that ended it's production.

The other solution that works quite well is having a twistgrip as well, as on the eZee bikes, since with that shut off, there's no power to snatch in.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Hi Flecc.

The UM does have a twist grip, which over-rides the pedal sensor. But it's either/or. With the twist grip in the "off" position, the pedal sensor is on. I think there is a mid-point when you start to turn the grip, that cuts off the pedal sensor before the twist grip brings in power. But it would be too fiddly to keep trying to find that "neutral point". And the twist grip has a strong return spring - I wouldn't choose to hold it on for very long.

I didn't use the twist grip today, although there are some situations when I would, such as pushing the bike up a ramp when I could then let the motor do the work.

The brakes cut off the power, so probably I'll start riding with fingers just resting on the levers, finding the point that cuts the power without actually braking.

I did look at the Ezee range, but bought UM because it's lighter. I need to carry my bike up and down stairs, so weight is the most critical factor for me.

Mary

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I understand Mary, that's a Hall effect throttle and they do tend to be fierce acting like that. The eZee ones are similar acting, but I modified mine to give better control by splitting it into two sections, the inner part the rotating throttle and the outer stationary. That way it can be held precisely in intermediate positions without difficulty, with the hand clamping the position on the stationary part. You can see it here.

Incidentally, the spring strength weakens quite a lot with use and will become much better after a while.

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Unfortunately most of the bikes use this rather crude cut in and out sensor, and only the much missed Giant Lafree Twist series got it right with software controlled power which accurately read what was wanted from the cyclist's actions.
When I read Mary's post I too thought of the Twist. All of those issues solved in one swoop.

It was expensive though, and that ended it's production.
Certainly thats the official line provided by the manufacturer but I can't see why it need have been that much more expensive than many other electric bikes. It is after all a ~ £300 bike with a Panasonic powerplant professionally integrated. If Giant found the powerplants were costing them to much, as the biggest bike manufacturer in the world, I think that they should have developed their own for this growing electric bike market. Now they have 3 basic styles of electric bike and other than the Revive both have fixed gear hub motors. I cant see the sense in that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't see why it need have been that much more expensive than many other electric bikes. It is after all a ~ £300 bike with a Panasonic powerplant professionally integrated.
That's my opinion too. I think there's more to it than meets the eye, possibly some falling out, or even the recent and current worsening of Sino-Japanese relations.