New VAT rules for overseas sellers supplying goods to UK customers - Any experiences yet?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you cant afford it then headphones is the way to go ;)

• Agree
Reactions: pentiumofborg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
akai s5000 with cf drive
akai s1000
korg ms2000r
novation ks rack
emu 2500
novation supernova 1
quasimidi technox
quasimidi quasar fully upgraded
rolland u220
qusimidi raveolution
motu 2408mk3
motu 192hd
motu128 midi express
tc electronic m1xl fx
tl audio c-2021 valve compressor
berhinger ultercurve eq
tascam da 20
Yamaha 31 band dual eq
2 power conditions
1 midi sport 8x8 rack
presonus central station with remote for the genelecs

D

Deleted member 33385

akai s5000 with cf drive
akai s1000
korg ms2000r
novation ks rack
emu 2500
novation supernova 1
quasimidi technox
quasimidi quasar fully upgraded
rolland u220
qusimidi raveolution
motu 2408mk3
motu 192hd
motu128 midi express
tc electronic m1xl fx
tl audio c-2021 valve compressor
berhinger ultercurve eq
tascam da 20
Yamaha 31 band dual eq
2 power conditions
1 midi sport 8x8 rack
presonus central station with remote for the genelecs

That equipment list of your studio, has got me wanting to find out where you live again lol. ;)

The M1 optimised Ableton looks good:

But I've stopped chasing kit: Jingles and melodies are what I'm focused on. A good jingle can be worth a lot, on the other hand... Covid: There's more music being made right now, than at any time in human history. The same goes for books written, songs, paintings... all creative works.

Novation Supernovas do things that no other synth does. I'm a big fan. Of even the digital ones.

The Motus are awesome.

Just one or two sets of EQs will not help you rule the all important mid-range frequencies! If it doesn't sound vaguely nasal (I think, but it could just be me lol) - it can't be shoved at high volume, through the small (and/or) cr*p speakers that everyone else owns.

Loads of well chosen kit there Soundwave! Can't say that I recognise everything you've listed.

I might get one of these:

...perfect for strange atmospheres.

There is only one physical synth I'd buy at the mo - the Korg MS20, and they can now be ordered brand new from Japan (with taxes etc. etc.). Pushing real circuits to the edge, produces much more interesting variation (without weird miscalculation glitches - they're only modelled circuits) than the virtual version - and it accepts audio signals for modification too, ideally I'd like three MS20s. Real Korg MS20 bass can still be heard all over the place, especially in movies because it goes so damn low. But it's so easy to be distracted by kit, both real and virual... composition is where the real work is. Starting to hate computer grids, no grids in the greatest electronic music, bit limiting. Timing by vibe is better.

Composition is the hard part, so I'm mostly doing that - no high powered PC needed, although I have them. Mastering and instrumentation, are things that many session musicians and studio engineers can do. And is it worth it in the end? With the way that streaming incomes are set up at the moment - it's true as it's always been: Be a musician, if you want to be poor lol. I'll make much more music, when I literally am incapable of doing anything else. Retirement = death. Never retire!!

Last edited:

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Has anyone bought a Bafang motor kit (mid or hub) from China and had to pay extra on top of the China price?

I bought a Bafang rear hub kit that is going to have the wheel, controller and a few other bits like cables, I paid about £270 on the Chinese website and I know (from the tracking) at least 20% VAT needs paying on it yet, but what else is customs also going to add on as well as that? Anything?

I was trying to look it up on HMRC and found something like "Motors over 37.5W but under 750W" and it just said 20% VAT. Other stuff I saw said there's a 2.5% customs charge.

What worries me is the kit I bought is about £400 in the UK. When VAT is added to the £270 I paid on the China website then it comes to around £320. I can live with that and knew all along it was subject to another £50 or £60 but is this thing going to double in price or something outrageous like that?

I also bought a battery pack from a different seller on the same China website, that already included VAT in their price so that's all paid, but again what other customs charges are they likely to add to it?

Does anyone know (from buying these parts themselves) what is the absolute maximum I can get stung on the kit/battery?

It could even turn out I just haven't got the money to pay it... been saving up for months to buy this kit/battery, sigh.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have bought a few hundred quids worth of stuff from china this year and not had to pay a penny import wise.

tho the rules have changed for the eu.

OUR SOLUTION FOR NEW TAX & VAT POLICY OF EUROPEAN UNION
Due to recent change of tax policy in EU, we need to collect VAT and duty in advance as below (For EU customers):

USD3 for small parcels (small figures, upgrade kits).

USD6 or more for big parcels (big figures like combiners)

The tax has already been included in the shipping cost at the checkout page. Anyway, if your parcel is detained by the EU custom and charged for an extra tax, we can not be responsible for it, you need to repay the tax to the custom and we would pay the

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What you pay on duties you won't know until the final bills come in, you will be informed up front of any extra duty as customs don't often release until the fee is paid or the courier won't deliver until it is paid. Expect a handling fee of £12 or so as well on top.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
OK cheers, I just wondered if it's going to be some insane fee where a kit and battery that originally cost about £500 is going to cost about £800 or £900.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Searching german suppliers recently for cycle bits and found the UK/England/GB is just missing from the delivery section. Pretty much the whole world is there to have items delivered too, but not here. As has been mentioned, purchased a lot from China, mainly AliExpress and had no issues and no extra costs, usually delivered in 10 days or less. Everything I now search for on Amazon, I also check Aliexpress.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Searching german suppliers recently for cycle bits and found the UK/England/GB is just missing from the delivery section. Pretty much the whole world is there to have items delivered too, but not here. As has been mentioned, purchased a lot from China, mainly AliExpress and had no issues and no extra costs, usually delivered in 10 days or less. Everything I now search for on Amazon, I also check Aliexpress.
i got a refoam kit from Germany at the start of the year and could not send the glue with it as it had to go in a box and would not send it like that lol.

also postage to and from the eu has gone through the roof and a lot of company's dont even offer the option of uk postage anymore so you cant even buy from them.

peter at performance line bearings has even stopped accepting repairs from the eu it is that bad.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
The China seller has warehouses in the EU and I think my kit has been sent from Germany. The tracking says DHL_DE. Of all places, sigh.

"The shipment has been processed in the delivery depot" so it is here in the UK but, awaiting customs charges.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
OK cheers, I just wondered if it's going to be some insane fee where a kit and battery that originally cost about £500 is going to cost about £800 or £900.
No you shouldn't be faced with silly money excesses , expect at most about £35 if you are unlucky.

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
No you shouldn't be faced with silly money excesses , expect at most about £35 if you are unlucky.
I bought a used rear mech from the US around 2018 (a 7700 GS that was from 2002 so about 15 years old) and I paid about £40 for it, yet the customs charge was something like £12 (then the £8 handling fee I'm not including, it was £20 in reality). That £12 customs fee alone was 30% of the £40 it cost.

If they apply anything like that percentage to this kit I'm going to cry lol.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The £12 handling fee tends to be a standard rate charge and not a % fee of the whole deal.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
EDIT
You shouldn't pay VAT on anything over £135 at the point of sale,[maybe easier said than done] it should be added by boarder customs. £500 purchase from China will be about +£100 VAT (20%)+ Customs duty £15(2.5%) + any handling charges by the carrier - I estimate and from how I understand it. I also learnt that refusing a package might not be a good idea as there are limited to no rules/laws protecting you and allowing a refund.

If the Chinese company declares a lower amount or states it in USD you may expect to pay less VAT, however most small items I have got recently have had the correct value stated and labelled correctly as "bike parts". Items marked as "gift" will make little or no difference. Please do update this thread when the time comes, it will help others.

What happened to pentiumofborg ?? He was a genuine chap.

Last edited:

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
Cheers PC2017 I did think it was 2.5%.

On AliExpress, the store selling the battery did include VAT at checkout and the store selling the motor kit didn't. It's all over the place at the moment.

I've not ordered much this year, but last time I paid VAT at checkout on there for something that was about £24, there were no other added charges after that. As far as I know, there should have been a customs fee on it.

Irish-e-chris

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2021
Same is the case for some deliveries to Ireland (Rep. of). I ordered an e-bike kit from e-bay and was told they wouldn't ship from Spain to me...... when I inquiered I got no answer so I had to use the chinese page and pay shipping and an extra 30usd for tax PLUS another 6$ tax added to the tax. MTX39 kit from CSC) ...should have ordered it from Ali.....
On Amazon.de some sellers do not ship here either even so they ship to the whole rest of Europe.......
So it seems to me that for some the whole of the British Isles are a no go zone or only for huge extra shipping. Seen Aliexpress wants 150+ for UPS or FedEx shipping...

Manc44

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2021
It's a bummer that my kit is being sent from Germany even though I ordered it on AliExpress. Still, it apparently has arrived here, but is waiting at some depot while they ship me out a letter telling me what the customs charges are going to be. That courier sending from Germany to UK was DHL. It was shipped around the beginning of August. Maybe some are starting to go back to normal again and ship here.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Number: YT2119821272046481
Package status: Delivered (9 Days)
Destination:

Origin:
2021-07-26 21:06 secure delivery - to household
2021-07-26 20:57 rescheduled delivery 13:00 - 15:00 today
2021-07-26 17:55 eta of delivery
2021-07-26 17:41 out for delivery
2021-07-26 15:30 outbound receipt at sub depot
2021-07-26 14:47 manifested for delivery
2021-07-26 12:02 processed at depot
2021-07-25 22:26 hub infeed scan
2021-07-25 22:22 hub trailer via sorter
2021-07-25 22:21 received at hermes hub
2021-07-25 12:00 delivery to local courier
2021-07-25 10:08 Slough,GB, Departed from Facility.
2021-07-25 10:01 Slough,GB, Arrived at Sort Facility.
2021-07-24 03:12 Custom clearance completed
2021-07-23 18:15 Arrived at AIRPORT of Destination
2021-07-21 11:25 Departed from AIRPORT of Origin
2021-07-20 15:32 CHINA, Arrive at international airport to abroad
2021-07-20 12:13 SHANGHAI, Departed Facility In processing center
2021-07-19 22:41 Departed Facility in SHANGHAI
2021-07-18 02:35 Arrived at Sort Facility SHANGHAI
2021-07-17 10:26 The package has been collected by yunexpress
2021-07-17 09:47 Shipment information received
======================================