New Woosh Crank-drive Bike

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

pugsly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 28, 2013
I am confident that crank drive models are definitely better for heavier riders and unless someone is extremely weighty, ours should fit the bill.
Thanks Hatti. I'll add it to my list to consider.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Thanks Hatti. I'll add it to my list to consider.
Hatti,whilst there is no question that you can generate greater rear wheel torque with a crank drive,so the crank drive bike should be a better hill climber and accelerate quicker than the hub drive. But you do have to consider F=m x a. To accelerate quicker you need either less mass(m) or greater force(F),in the case of the crank drive that force has to be driven through the gear system of the bike,with a heavy rider that could exceed the limits of the gear system. Whereas with a hub drive the force is split between torque through the motor direct into the wheel and force generated by the rider effort,therefore the load on the gear system is considerably reduced.
If the motor is in the front the load on the rear spokes will be considerably reduced and may avoid some of your spoke breaking problem
KudosDave

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Pugsly....You really need someone like Cyclezee to build a custom bike,with strong gear system(Deore XT?),strong thick wired rims etc....I am sure Cyclezee could develop a good spec.
Or alternatively the Haibike eq Xduro Rohloff 26"
Select a big frame size.
It has the bombproof Rohloff Speedhub,14 speed with very wide range
Bosch crank drive,
Magura Hydraulic brakes with 180 discs
Schwalbe super tough tyres
400 Wh battery.
Not sure you specified a price in your spec?
Dave
Kudoscycles

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hatti,whilst there is no question that you can generate greater rear wheel torque with a crank drive,so the crank drive bike should be a better hill climber and accelerate quicker than the hub drive. But you do have to consider F=m x a. To accelerate quicker you need either less mass(m) or greater force(F),in the case of the crank drive that force has to be driven through the gear system of the bike,with a heavy rider that could exceed the limits of the gear system. Whereas with a hub drive the force is split between torque through the motor direct into the wheel and force generated by the rider effort,therefore the load on the gear system is considerably reduced.
If the motor is in the front the load on the rear spokes will be considerably reduced and may avoid some of your spoke breaking problem
KudosDave
Dave,
This comes from my (significant) other half, who is on the heavier side.....
He says that in his view the problem of spokes breaking has little to do with the forward forces that you are referring to.
Rather, like a weak ankle, the rim can deform easily under lateral stresses like illustrated in this diagram:
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/upload/images/lateral_stiffness_road_en.jpg
These lateral stresses are proportional to the rider's weight and strength.
Skinny tyres may be an advantage here.
What do others think?

Hatti

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Pugsly....You really need someone like Cyclezee to build a custom bike,with strong gear system(Deore XT?),strong thick wired rims etc....I am sure Cyclezee could develop a good spec.
Or alternatively the Haibike eq Xduro Rohloff 26"
Select a big frame size.
It has the bombproof Rohloff Speedhub,14 speed with very wide range
Bosch crank drive,
Magura Hydraulic brakes with 180 discs
Schwalbe super tough tyres
400 Wh battery.
Not sure you specified a price in your spec?
Dave
Kudoscycles
Milton Keynes to Melbourne is a bit of a schlep Dave;)

There are people down under quite capable of helping out Pugsly, or maybe he might like to have a go himself:)

Last edited by a moderator:

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Hi, just joined the forum as thinking of getting an electric bike.

I have been away from regular cycling for a few years and I am now overweight and unfit! I have just got a new job and its a 6 mile each way commute and I would probably jump in my car than on my old mountain bike as I live in a village with some steep hills to get out and a long incline on the way to work.

Would one of these be a good choice? It seems good value to me. I am 42yr old and just under 14 stone. I should be around 11 stone so I am hoping it would make me fitter again without it being far too hard like a normal bike.

Thanks

Simon.

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Should be a good choice Simon ,but to be honest no-one yet has tried one !! Woosh has established itself as a good value for money retailer .
Sometimes a certain bike or manufacturer has lots of negative feedback on this forum and i cannot recall anything like that for Woosh .
If possible though try as many bikes as possible - dealers or to one of the "events" that are coming up , it is an expensive purchase so you may as well get it right .
Welcome to the forum btw.

Alan

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Crank drives are said to be good hill climbers, but that doesn't mean everybody needs one.

A hub drive bike will also give you a lot of assistance on hills.

Six miles is nothing on an ebike, so there are plenty that could suit you.

Woosh are one of the better budget brands, Hatti from the company is a regular poster on here, and there is parts and service back-up which you might not get if you buy from a warehouse.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Thanks for that. I may pay slightly more yet. I know I should try a few first though. I need a push to get back into cycling as I used to do 3 or 4 20 mile rides a week on my mountain bike. I have been a full time stay at home dad for the last 10 years and I have let myself go in the last 2 or 3 years of that. Its time to change now. I was tempted by a zero electric motorcycle but they are expensive and its not gonna get me in shape again.

It looks like one of these will kick start me and make cycling a joy again. And save money at the same time.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi everyone and thanks for your interest. The new crank drive models are at sea right now, due to arrive 3rd week Feb. I am somewhat knackered after a very long train journey and flying back to UK tomorrow night, so would be more than happy to answer queries from Monday onwards if that's OK.
Hatti
Take your time hatti, at least it would give us something special to look forward to an think abuot

Mountainsport

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Could anyone explain the benefits of this model over say the Sirocco 2? Is the motor in this one proven as no make is specified. I know its not in stock yet so maybe the questions cant be answered yet.

I like the look of both models and the price (since I am a Yorkshire man!)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi, just joined the forum as thinking of getting an electric bike.

I have been away from regular cycling for a few years and I am now overweight and unfit! I have just got a new job and its a 6 mile each way commute and I would probably jump in my car than on my old mountain bike as I live in a village with some steep hills to get out and a long incline on the way to work.

Would one of these be a good choice? It seems good value to me. I am 42yr old and just under 14 stone. I should be around 11 stone so I am hoping it would make me fitter again without it being far too hard like a normal bike.

Thanks

Simon.
Could anyone explain the benefits of this model over say the Sirocco 2? Is the motor in this one proven as no make is specified. I know its not in stock yet so maybe the questions cant be answered yet.

I like the look of both models and the price (since I am a Yorkshire man!)
Waj1234....spend a happy week reading through the advantages and disadvantages of crank drive v hub drive elsewhere in this forum....the subject has been done to death and repeating it here would be going over old ground....I would just say that the BPM hub motor is narrowing the difference.
Come along to one of the roadshows and you can try all types of bikes,their differences become obvious quickly when riding.
What is your location? I can recommend the nearest roadshow,
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
waj1234....we are coming up to the Manifold Trail,Wetton,Peak District,afternoon April 13....sorry thats as close we come to Leeds....the Trail has some wonderful side roads where you will be able to test the hillclimbing abilities of different types of ebikes....lots of advice from other ebikers.
KudosDave

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Thats not too far really so may just try and make it. It will be around the time I will want to buy one too.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Don't rely just on specifications, or even informed opinion when deciding on a bike:

Use these to draw-up a short-list, then try as many as possible; particularly on hills - that's where the differences really show up & you'll only know which is for you when you get your backside on it :)

Oh, and make sure the saddle height is right when you test-ride.

It sounds daft, but I reckon you need to ride any (e)bike for a month before you know, for sure, just what you need from it.