New Yamaha powered e-bikes at £1399

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Erm...wow:confused: That's a great price for an entry level MTB Artstu:cool:...Winstanley Bikes were doing the FS version for 1700 too last week, but I'll wager they've sold out.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Good spot, Stu.

As Steve says, entry level.

That's probably more than adequate for most users who won't go much more off-road than a bumpy cycle path.

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
Thanks to you Artsu I am £1399 lighter :confused:. Have fancied a crankdrive bike for a while and think this will be a little better for light trailwork than my hub motored Saracen. Did consider the j e james full sus but felt it was overkill for what I do. the Saracen has now 1.75 Schwalbe landcruisers on it ,along with a highly illegal 18 mph cut off makes a great road/cycleway bike. Looking forward to next week.:)
Regards.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks to you Artsu I am £1399 lighter :confused:. Have fancied a crankdrive bike for a while and think this will be a little better for light trailwork than my hub motored Saracen. Did consider the j e james full sus but felt it was overkill for what I do. the Saracen has now 1.75 Schwalbe landcruisers on it ,along with a highly illegal 18 mph cut off makes a great road/cycleway bike. Looking forward to next week.:)
Regards.
I'm sure you've thought that through nicely.

There's a bike for every ride, as they say, but you now have a few more bases covered.

Nothing to stop you slapping Big Bens on the Giant come the better weather if you find you much prefer it to riding the Saracen.

Reactions: electrickery

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
along with a highly illegal 18 mph cut off .
Not very highly illegal. The DfT have confirmed that on the assist limit as with all UK speed limits, a 10% tolerance applies.

This roughly equates to a 17.1 mph assist limit.

Since the police have no equipment that can get anywhere near to such cyclist speed measuring resolution accuracy, you're pretty safe.

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
Not very highly illegal. The DfT have confirmed that on the assist limit as with all UK speed limits, a 10% tolerance applies.

This roughly equates to a 17.1 mph assist limit.

Since the police have no equipment that can get anywhere near to such cyclist speed measuring resolution accuracy, you're pretty safe.
I know flecc. I was being a little tongue in cheek. Seriously though I find 18 mph a nice cruising speed on road on an mtb. Shame my new bike wont do that. Be interesting to see if it cuts out at 15.5 or 17 mph. the latter would be nice, Regards

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
Electrickery, how are you finding the Dirt E. Very tempted yo get one?
Hi brownster, was out for the second time today. First impressions on the road was a little harder work than a hub/rotation sensor bike . Off road and on hills is where it really scores though. So much torque at low speed through the gears, feels like it will climb a mountain. Plenty of grip even in muddy bits with the oem tyres running at 38/35 psi. Forks are really nice . Running along a forest track with a lot of stones it felt really smooth and secure. I have a sprung saddle at the moment but have ordered an ncx seatpost for my christmas, courtesy of my kids. I bought this for trail and light offroad work and can say I am not disappointed. I breezed a couple of steep bits today that I would have struggled on my hub bike. Horses for courses if you're looking for a bike for predominantly trail work this definitely fills the bill.And I am sure it will do more than I can throw at it. if I want to get from a-b fast on tarmac I will still use my hub bike with its variable speed controller. For getting onto trails this will be the one. Don't get me wrong this will do tarmac, about a third of my 20 mile ride today was on tarmac,but wont be the quickest. Overall it has a quality look and feel about it . Really like it.
edit.. another point is this has a twin front chainset which essentially gives a high ratio in the road and a low ratio offroad... I believe most hub motors are only single chainwheel.
Regards.giant mudplugging.jpg

Last edited:

Brownster74

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2016
Langho
Many thanks for the feedback. That is very informative. I am looking to get my first ebike, budget around £1200 to £1400. Found a good deal on a raleigh strada tse at £1150 and went to the bike shop today to look at it. Whilst probably more than adequate for me (not had a for nigh on 30 years) - mainly road/ gravel use in a hilly area, the sales chap didn't think the Strada would be much use off road. Recommended a Cube @ around £2000 as an 'all you will ever need' type bike for road and off road with a bosch motor. Don't want to spend that much despite liking the Cube bike so thinking that the Giant is probably the best thing I can get for my budget - and should be all the bike I will ever need.

Reactions: electrickery

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
Many thanks for the feedback. That is very informative. I am looking to get my first ebike, budget around £1200 to £1400. Found a good deal on a raleigh strada tse at £1150 and went to the bike shop today to look at it. Whilst probably more than adequate for me (not had a for nigh on 30 years) - mainly road/ gravel use in a hilly area, the sales chap didn't think the Strada would be much use off road. Recommended a Cube @ around £2000 as an 'all you will ever need' type bike for road and off road with a bosch motor. Don't want to spend that much despite liking the Cube bike so thinking that the Giant is probably the best thing I can get for my budget - and should be all the bike I will ever need.
glad to be of help..one thing to note is at a 6 feet and 33 inch instep I just fit the large bike. if you are any shorter maybe the medium is a better bet. or you could shorten the 400mm seat post by 2 or three inches if necessary.
regards

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
If you can get the Giant at that price it is a £500 saving at least.

Don't buy a Cube as it leaves your bearings exposed and no-one wants that.

I can't see the Raleigh letting you down either.

Perhaps the bike shop has a over supply of open bearing cube's ?

Reactions: Brownster74

Brownster74

Nov 13, 2016
Langho
At 5ft 10, I will probably just about get on the medium size bike which starts at a minimum of 5ft 7 (according to the size chart!). Just got to get my head around the colour scheme!

cheekee

Oct 30, 2016
UK
I have this bike and I love it.

Added a suntour ncx suspension seat post and it's lovely. Changed the saddle to a radius elite.

Upgraded the rear derailleur to deore xt shadow and changed the rotors to shimano zee. Changed the rear cassette to deore xt as the supplied one has 12 teeth on the smallest and I wanted 11 teeth for slightly faster speed. Then changed tyres to schwalbe marathon mtb plus which give better rolling resistance. I use the bike for my commute to work which is about 13 miles.

Last edited:

cheekee

Oct 30, 2016
UK
At 5ft 10, I will probably just about get on the medium size bike which starts at a minimum of 5ft 7 (according to the size chart!). Just got to get my head around the colour scheme!
I'm 5ft 10 and got the large. It's fine.

Related Articles

Advertisers