Newbie brake advice please

david67

Just Joined
Feb 22, 2019
Hi, I am David ! Thank you in advance for your help. I am 51 years old and did a lot of cycling in my teens then learnt to drive and gave up cycling. Until recently I went on 2 hour walks with my 2 Jack Russell dogs everyday but one of them ruptured 3 discs in her spine and is now limited to 30 minutes a day so I bought a Chinese made 3 wheeler new on Ebay and fitted an electric kit and strapped a dog crate on the back in place of the luggage basket so the fit dog runs along side and the injured one rides on the trike to and from the fields and forest and has a run around when we get there, both dogs happy. The trike has caliper brake on front wheel and drum on rear axle. I ve only used it a few times but find it very difficult to stop, Ive adjusted pads and shoes so they are within a fag paper of wheel and drum, Im wondering if they just need time to bed in or if i could purchase something more efficient in the way of brake material ? No matter how hard I pull on levers the trike just seems to slow down eventually whether Im using electric motor or just pedal power. Many thanks, David.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show is a pic of the bikes front brakes/forks, it may be possible to upgrade the front one with a hydraulic brake for a marked improvement.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Geoff Sleath

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 21, 2019
I used to ride a racing trike a lot (one with 3 x 700c wheels) and it was always standard practice just to brake the front wheel. There was a calliper brake and a cantilever operated independently by conventional handlebar levers. I've found on both trikes and especially tandem bicycles that braking can be greatly improved by the use of high quality levers with minimal flex as well as fitting brake cables as thick as possible. You could try just fitting better quality brake callipers as well; there's a reason they're more expensive. Of course the ultimate solution might be to fit a disc front brake but that is quite extreme as you would need to change to front forks to one with a disc fitting.

I've had drum brakes on the back of tandems as a 3rd brake and never had one that was remotely effective. The reason is that the drum flexes when the shoes connect because it's simply not stiff enough - that was also the case with some vintage motorcycles.

Geoff

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If your forks are unsuitable for a disc brake, you could consider fitting a Magura HS 11/22/33 hydraulic caliper brake to the front, which will greatly improve your braking.

Geoff Sleath

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 21, 2019
I can vouch for the hydraulic Magura calipers. We have one on the front of our Canondale tandem (no electrical assistance - my wife provides the extra urge :) )

Geof

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I have a spare new front Shimano XT v brake. If you pay postage and a couple of quid for a cup of tea they are yours.

Thanks

Last edited: