Newbie dipping his toe into the world of Ebikes

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi again,I thought it only curtious to reply to the outcome of my new to me Ebike.
The bike arrived today from my friend.
He bought the bike late last year but he's had a few set backs with his health and cannot safely use it any more.
We both live in very isolated area's of Wales where the roads are virtually deserted and in very poor condition,hence he bought a Gogobest GF600 fat bike to swallow up the pot holed roads ect.
Well it's now in my procession and after a little reading about it , it's apparent not road legal ( I didn't know what bike it was until it arrived)
He's done barely 150 km on it and it looks brand new ,and it's come with two batteries (more about that later)
So I'm at a bit of a dilemma with this bike.
It's obviously illegal to use on the roads but the 1000 watt motor would really open my world out to exploring the wild steep mountain lanes that criss cross Wales.
I've given the bike a thorough check over tonight to make sure it's safe.
I found a few things I didn't like but we're soon rectified such as a loose headset and adjusting the mechanical disc brakes (just small trivial stuff really)
Naturally I'm still very suspicious of the battery so it's been left in the garden shed well away from the house after getting a full charge tonight.
I suppose it's questions time again to you knowledgeable folk here.
This bike is a bit of a beast to look at, and after a little a go on it this evening it felt very solid and capable of dealing with rough roads compared to my Skittish road bike.The bike would never be used in built up areas and would be ridden sensibly and courteously at all times .In other word's it will be used on quiet country lanes to navigate around Wales.
Do you think this could land me in trouble with the law.
As for the spare battery it's not charging up.It came with the bike originally but it would not charge up and gogobest sent a replacement battery out to him but never asked for the faulty one back.
It would be great to have two batteries so would it ,or could it be a simple fix (
you may know the answer)
A few initial things about this bike in the very short time of ownership is the shear weight of this thing.It weighs an absolute ton and can no way be used practically as an ordinary bike.With the assist turned on though it was as absolute breeze to use .The most striking thing though was how planted it felt along rough road surfaces and how smooth it was.I will put that down to the 26" 4" tyres on it
So all in all I've mixed feelings about this bike.
Great to ride,Feels safe solid and very predictable and good quality but on the other hand I feel I may be looking over shoulder waiting to get my collar felt.
Swap out the motor wheel for a 250w one, then it'll be legal.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
fat bikes need fat motors

* TC65 = 65km / 72V     TC4065 = 65km/hr / 72V TC3065 = 65km/hr

* TC80 = 80km / 72V TC4080 = 80km/hr TC3080 = 80km/hr

* TC100 = 100km / 72V TC40100 = 100km/hr TC30100 = 100km/hr

# Motors TC30100 TC40100 and TC100 are available for custom-made for high speed.

* Speed based on 26" wheel / The speed record may be different based on the loading and road condition.

* The TC30xx series has lower torque than the TC65/TC80/TC100 and TC40xx series . Because the higher the stator is, the less with only 10mm by 30mm.

TC and The Crown Motors' main specifications

• Axle Dropout :​
  • TC30xx Motor :​
  • Both available for front wheel 100mm​
  • Rear 135mm rear wheel for 7 speed freewheel​
  • TC40xx series​
  • Axle dropout : 140mm / one speed freewheel => For normal bicycle​
  • Axle dropout 162mm / one speed freewheel => For custom very strong bike frame​
  • The Crown Motor :​
  • 140mm dropout / Custom made 135mm dropout available.​
  • All Motors Axle :​
  • Axle dimension : M14 - Strong axle x 10mm flat part​
  • TC motor phase wire in bigger size : dia. 6mm2 x 3pcs​
  • TC Weight : 9kg / ea bare motor​
  • The Crown with aluminum Rotor and Covers / TC30xx and TC40xx with steel rotor only​
  • TC motors with black standard color​
  • Motor with hall effect + temperature sensor​
:p

Reactions: jedd

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It's obviously illegal to use on the roads but the 1000 watt motor would really open my world out to exploring the wild steep mountain lanes that criss cross Wales.
It's also illegal to ride in any place accessible to the general public, such as bridleways, cycle paths, canal paths, etc. Only legal on private land with no right of public access, and with the permission of the landowner.

I'm not sure about the rules for BOATs (byways open to all traffic), but I suspect it would be illegal there too.

Reactions: jedd