Newbie from Brighton - any advice re folding e bike for train

Nina

Just Joined
Nov 23, 2013
hi all
I am wondering what the best bike is for a mixed cycle/ train commute from Portslade to Chichester - train regulations say it has to be a folder but no stairs on journey
Thanks

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: Nina

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Hey Nina , im a local too

Not commuted by train for years but at peak times southern used to operate a three fold policy (at the time it basically meant yes to brompton and no to cheapo Chinese half folders)

Check their current terms first might be a good call.

For example the Woosh Gale might not fit their terms but Gallego might

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Electric brompton would be the most compact bike with power but they do come at a cost of £2800

Nina

Just Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Hello Nina :)

You could presumably then consider a full sized folder like the Zephyr B:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-b

Or perhaps a Wisper 806 if you want something a bit smaller:
https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/806-se-folding-bike/

Bare in mind there's still a bit of weight to them - you won't want to carry them far!

Gaz
Hey Nina , im a local too

Not commuted by train for years but at peak times southern used to operate a three fold policy (at the time it basically meant yes to brompton and no to cheapo Chinese half folders)

Check their current terms first might be a good call.

For example the Woosh Gale might not fit their terms but Gallego might
I thought the gale might suit me as I’m only 5ft 3 but thought it might be too heavy - I’ll definitely check with train company too

Nina

Just Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Electric brompton would be the most compact bike with power but they do come at a cost of £2800
Yes nice looking bike but very expensive - no more than 1500 realistically but have been admiring the Brompton

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
Another local here. Loads of good bikes out there, but bare in mind how many stairs you may have to lift the bike or whether you only need the folding part to comply with train regs.

How far is the ride at either end? What are the stations like with stairs etc?

I wouldn't mind carrying a larger, better bike if I could make up the time/effort at either end.

Nina

Just Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Another local here. Loads of good bikes out there, but bare in mind how many stairs you may have to lift the bike or whether you only need the folding part to comply with train regs.

How far is the ride at either end? What are the stations like with stairs etc?

I wouldn't mind carrying a larger, better bike if I could make up the time/effort at either end.
It’s purely train regs - otherwise would get a full size bike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Humping anything other than a Brompton on and off a train every day is not a realistic option.

But there is hope.

The Nano conversion is neat, and starts from £1,900 with a small battery.

The battery is in the front bag, so you would need to unclip the bag, sling it over your shoulder, fold the bike and get on the train.

Still a bit of a faff, but doable.

http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Panda Bikes are selling a Brompton conversion kit at a much cheaper price than Nano's. However, they haven't exactly been quick to answer my query regarding fork changes ( http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/last-chance-to-order-the-swytch-complete-ebike-kit-for-£225.29960/#post-415342 ) and that was with a personal message reminder!

Once my Cyclescheme has been paid off, I might consider fitting one of those kits to my Brompton M6L. I have had several folders: Birdy, Dahon, Mezzo & several Bromptons, and the latter is by far the smallest fold. But, the Birdy is by far the best ride - 18" wheels though.

Ian Roberts

Just Joined
Jan 28, 2018
Luton
hi all
I am wondering what the best bike is for a mixed cycle/ train commute from Portslade to Chichester - train regulations say it has to be a folder but no stairs on journey
Thanks
Why don't you try this bike, saw it the other day. it can be wheeled long

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Panda Bikes are selling a Brompton conversion kit at a much cheaper price than Nano's. However, they haven't exactly been quick to answer my query regarding fork changes ( http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/last-chance-to-order-the-swytch-complete-ebike-kit-for-£225.29960/#post-415342 ) and that was with a personal message reminder!

Once my Cyclescheme has been paid off, I might consider fitting one of those kits to my Brompton M6L. I have had several folders: Birdy, Dahon, Mezzo & several Bromptons, and the latter is by far the smallest fold. But, the Birdy is by far the best ride - 18" wheels though.
The Panda kit - currently £275 - doesn't include a battery which would add as much again.

The Nano kit is fitted very neatly, particularly the way the battery in a Brommie bag connects via the luggage block.

No need for unplugging wires or extra faff when removing/installing the bag.

Given you also get a Brommie bag and everything fitted and guaranteed the Nano kit fitted price of about £1,000 on top of the bike is not such bad
value.

peejay42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 21, 2017
GB
hi all
Thanks
Thought this may help

Our cycle policy

If you have a fully folding cycle, you’re welcome to bring it on board any of our trains. Just be sure to fold and carry your bike before going through the ticket gates.

Please note that by fully folding, we mean a cycle that has small wheels and folds in more than one place. At present, we do allow larger cycles with a single folding point, as long as they are easily carried.

Can I bring my cycle on a peak time train if it is not going to London, Kensington Olympia or Brighton?

Yes, if you’re headed in the opposite direction from the cycle-restricted trains then you can bring your bike on board, space permitting.

https://www.southernrailway.com/travel-information/on-board/bringing-a-bike

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk