Newbie looking for advice

bikertj1981

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I have been looking online for information on ebikes for a month or so. There is so much information but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for. I live near Darlington in the north east but am having difficulty finding a shop to go to so I can actually see an electric bike. If you know of a good shop nearby where I can look at some I would be grateful.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There are a few more ebike shops than there were, but not many in the North East.

What's your budget?

And what type of bike are you after?

bikertj1981

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
There are a few more ebike shops than there were, but not many in the North East.

What's your budget?

And what type of bike are you after?
I was hoping to spend under £600 and I am looking for a bike that can give some assistance on hills for road and easy off road leisure cycling. With the possibilty of commuting up to 10miles each way.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I was hoping to spend under £600 and I am looking for a bike that can give some assistance on hills for road and easy off road leisure cycling. With the possibilty of commuting up to 10miles each way.
The budget is too low for the job.

Commuting 10 miles each way - assuming you work several days a week - is relatively hard use on any bicycle, ebike or not.

There aren't many ebikes for £600 anyway, although you may find something cheap and Chinese online, but it won't last on a commute.

Tesco Direct sometimes have offers on a small wheel ebike, or something similar from Halfords, which you could at least have a look at.

The Coyote is on budget.

Quite good value, but the battery may not last 20 miles and it certainly won't stand up to the commute for very long.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/coyote-connect-folding-electric-bike

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
this may sound daunting but I'd go for a kit (perhaps oxygen or woosh bbs, depending on whether you want crank or hub drive), the thing about this is that it means NOT having to buy into a whole world of cheap, crap Chinese bicycle - you could pick up a good normal bicycle second hand with decent brakes and gears and add the kit and it should come just under budget.

bikertj1981

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
The budget is too low for the job.

Commuting 10 miles each way - assuming you work several days a week - is relatively hard use on any bicycle, ebike or not.

There aren't many ebikes for £600 anyway, although you may find something cheap and Chinese online, but it won't last on a commute.

Tesco Direct sometimes have offers on a small wheel ebike, or something similar from Halfords, which you could at least have a look at.

The Coyote is on budget.

Quite good value, but the battery may not last 20 miles and it certainly won't stand up to the commute for very long.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/coyote-connect-folding-electric-bike

what would you suggest as a good budget ebike for me and what sort of budget would you suggest would be a better place to start?

thanks for your help its very appreciated

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
what would you suggest as a good budget ebike for me and what sort of budget would you suggest would be a better place to start?

thanks for your help its very appreciated
The Ebco bikes from Halfords - and elsewhere - are about £1,000.

They are reasonable quality and stand a good chance of doing what you want the bike to do reliably.

There were some offers on the Ebco bikes a few months ago, but I think they are mostly gone.

Some reasonable cheapies here, although not in all sizes:

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Items/Electric_Bikes/Bikes_Under_£700/Bikes_Under_£700_List.aspx

bikertj1981

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
wow so much information thanks

I have just come back from the bike store
http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/product/1733/byo2014lfd/byocycles-chameleon-ls-folding-electric-bike.html
and tried out the byocycles chameleon, wow it's the first ebike I have tried.

I think a folding bike sounds like a good idea so I can get it in the back of the car and go places.

I have wondered about a conversion kit but I'm not confident but I was worried they wouldn't meet the road legal requirements of plates with motor information and stuff?

Has anyone tried Pro Rider Leisure I found this within my budget the other day
http://www.proriderleisure.com/leisure/electric-bikes/e-wayfarer-electric-folding-bike-silver.html

Again thanks people for all you valuable information.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Pro Rider has been around a while as a brand, which may say something.

Standard cheap Chinese ebike which might be OK for occasional light use.

The Byocycle you tried looks slightly better quality.