Newbie looking for bike that can tow my toddler.

Loopylou

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2019
Hello,

decided to take the leap and go electric ! But i need one thats got a bit of grunt up hills and can tow my 2 year old, any directions to look would be great, thank you

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Big Bear has a big powerful motor with lots of hill climbing torque. However it's a front hub which can mean some scrubbing on very steep inclines that are loose or greasy surfaced. My wife has the LS, good solid bike with upright riding postion.

Crossed with Tony's post.
Just to add though, my other halve is a svelt (!) 12 stoner and loves the bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Loopylou you don't mention your weight :eek:.
For towing be inclined to go with rear hub drive for better hill traction and will aid better if conditions are damp/wet, esp if you are fairly light.
The Big Bear I(BPM hub is mighty) and with extra towing weight may add to front wheel scrabbling for traction more.

Loopylou

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2019
Which
Loopylou you don't mention your weight :eek:.
For towing be inclined to go with rear hub drive for better hill traction and will aid better if conditions are damp/wet, esp if you are fairly light.
The Big Bear I(BPM hub is mighty) and with extra towing weight may add to front wheel scrabbling for traction more.
Which bike would you recommend ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you was a heavy weight I would say Big Bear but if not go for rear hub drive.
A heavy person can place some weight to the front by adusting riding position forward.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
More power is usually always good so your not far off LS Big Bear territory and leaves the rear axle free to easier fit a trailer tow hitch if yours is an axle fitment (without any mods).
Consideration to fitting the trailer hitch needs to be taken in to account.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How is that fitted, just out of curiosity?
They all work on the same idea.
you undo the non drive side rear wheel nut, install the black quick release hook below.
It's a 5 minute job. If you have a rear motor wheel, you need to enlarge the hole with a 12mm HSS drill bit.
It's quite easy to drill.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Most trailer hitches behave as Woosh says. Some (our 35 year old one) connect to the seatpost which is convenient but less stable. Those can be an issue if you have a rack mounted battery.

We used ours for several years with two children in a custom built wooden seat; only slow riding around town. Sadly it won't fit our Motus Low Step because of the battery. We might be able to fit it at the back of the rack; that would probably be less stable still and extra long. Also won't fit the tandem because of the Suntour telescopic seat post for the stoker.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited: