Newbie looking for recommendations

Daddio70

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 2, 2021
Hi, I am a 51 year old male and am currently looking to apply for my first Ebike under the Cycle to work scheme. I am after a folding bike due to lack of space at home and ease of getting in the car.
I mainly require one for a 6 mile round trip to work and back, which is fine on a normal bike there as it's downhill half of the way . But on the way home that hill is a real struggle for me and I have to get off and walk the rest of the way home.
Any advice on suitable bikes would be greatly appreciated. My budget is up to £1000 or maybe a little above that.

Reactions: artspeck

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Hi, I am a 51 year old male and am currently looking to apply for my first Ebike under the Cycle to work scheme. I am after a folding bike due to lack of space at home and ease of getting in the car.
I mainly require one for a 6 mile round trip to work and back, which is fine on a normal bike there as it's downhill half of the way . But on the way home that hill is a real struggle for me and I have to get off and walk the rest of the way home.
Any advice on suitable bikes would be greatly appreciated. My budget is up to £1000 or maybe a little above that.
Your budget is far too low for a reliable ebike that will last any length of time. Take a look at something like a Volt metro LS with suspension front and back, integrated lighting, full disc brakes, rear carrier, 8 gears etc. these are all valid points in any bike but you won’t get change from £1,500.

Reactions: Daddio70

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A good converted base bike with a hub kit will be ultra reliable and less then 1k.
8 years ago I converted my 1 year old £350 Norco, it is still going strong today.

belfastbiker

Aug 14, 2021
I'm a 150kg 51yo with zero fitness and arthritis in left knee. There are quite a few bikes that will serve you.

I was looking at a folding e-bike, to allow me to use trains also easily, and came up with a list of ADO A20, Samebike 20LVXD30, Fiido D4S, Ancheer Folding electric,Argos E-Plus Envoy, Carrera Crosscity Folding, Apache Tocho Nexus, Woosh Rambletta, Osprey Folding Low Step, Dallingridge Oxford, Chameleon LS20, Halfords Step-thru Hybrid, Falcon Compact, Apache Tanka. There are tons of bikes, but stock is the killer.

Came down to D4S and ADO A20, and overjoyed with my purchase of A20. I've bought red pedals and upgraded brakes already, replaced suspension seatpost with a fixed, and turned the front suspension into a fixed fork with cableties, all due to my huge weight being 30kg over limit of bike. Quite a lively community, and lots of inexpensive upgrades and spare parts too. I ended up paying £558, without VAT. The upgrades were very well priced.

I think very expensive bikes are a madness, unless you're getting 750/1000W models, in which case I'd go to £1500.

Reactions: Daddio70

Daddio70

Oct 2, 2021

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Hi and welcome.
But on the way home that hill is a real struggle for me and I have to get off and walk the rest of the way home.
Can i ask what you ride at the moment, as it cant help if the bike you normally ride is one that weighs a lot.
A lightweight road specc'd bike will make the riding far easier than a heavyweight one.

Reactions: innate and Daddio70

Daddio70

Oct 2, 2021
Hi and welcome.

Can i ask what you ride at the moment, as it cant help if the bike you normally ride is one that weighs a lot.
A lightweight road specc'd bike will make the riding far easier than a heavyweight one.
My current bike is a Btwin Riverside 500.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
My current bike is a Btwin Riverside 500.
The stats have that one specced at 13 1/2kg, which is ok really. Unfortunately most ebike are a good 10kg on to that. But the likes of Carrera subway @18kg at £1100 or Carrera Impel @19kg or the Gtech @16kg, also about £1k