Newbie - looking for some guidance

Rossco

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2017
Ireland
Hello,

I'm looking into converting my Cube commuting bike (link below). I think a front wheel hub would work best as the bike has a rear wheel hub and coaster back pedal brake that I would like to keep. I have a concern that the front forks are too close together for the replacement wheel. They are approximately 10cms apart. Do you have any guidance on what system would be suitable for the bike? My daily commute is 5 miles each way with a quite hilly route on the way home. I think the bike is fairly sturdy alth mine is 3 years old (not the 2016 version in the link but v similar) so should suit conversion.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.cube.eu/en/products/trekking/town/cube-town-black-glossy-2016/

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Rossco,

I can supply you with a front hub kit on 700C black rim, 13AH or 17AH downtube battery, 17A controller, LCD, sensored brake levers.

For a general idea, take a look here:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkit

The motor will be the lightweight Bafang SWX, like the one we use on the woosh Sundowner.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sundowner

D

Deleted member 4366

10cms fork width is normal. You'll lose your hub-dynamo when you fit a hub-motor, so you'll need to find another way to deal with the lights.

As the bike is already 16.5kg before adding any electric stuff, think about the battery weight. Use a smaller light battery, unless you really need to go a long way. A 10Ah one will take you about 30 miles.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is not much difference in weight between a 10AH and a 13AH. The 17AH weighs the about 2.8kg

Rossco

Jul 20, 2017
Ireland
Thanks for your help. Looks like I will have to accept losing the front light. Will the current gearing system still work after the kit is fitted? It looks like the Whoosh solution could work with a 13AH battery but what would the total weight then be considering the bike is already heavy. What is the cost of that kit? I live in Dublin.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

The motor weighs 3kgs, the battery and LCD weighs 3kgs. The total increase in weight is thus 6-6.2kgs.
Are you sure about that? I just weighed my 50 cell 36v HL battery. It's 4.045kg on its own without a controller. What motor are you saying weighs 3kg? The link you provided doesn't work for me. Then you have the pedal sensor, controller and all the cables, which would weigh about 1/2 kg. My reckoning is 7 to 9 kg for the complete kit, depending on which motor.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you made me doubt myself, so I weighed these batteries again just now.

1. 10S5P Samsung cells: 3,098grs
2. 10S5P Panasonic cells: 3,038grs

here is the 15AH Samsung cells

Rossco

Jul 20, 2017
Ireland
Thank you for your offer. Do folk generally think that this would be a sensible / optimal set up?

D

Deleted member 4366

That's weird. The cells are about 50g each, so 50 makes 2.5kg. That little empty 30 cell case that I showed you weighs 598g, so a 50 cell case must weigh around 1 kg. Then you have the weight of the BMS, all the wires and all the welded plates and strips. When I weighed mine, I was expecting around 4kg and that's what I got. Are you sure your scales are right? They can't be. Did you include the receiver when you weighed it. that makes a difference of 260g.

I just weighed my 52 cell Dolphin battery without the receiver. It's approximately 3.2kg - say 3.5kg with the receiver. I can't understand why that should be lighter.

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
Thank you for your offer. Do folk generally think that this would be a sensible / optimal set up?
Yes - the front hub motor/bottle mount battery setup is a very sensible setup and one of the cheapest entries into pedelecs. As it only involves swapping the front wheel, nothing is altered regarding your rear wheel and gears. Woosh's kit is well priced and good quality - there are others around of course.

Shouldn't take you too long to fit- probably less than it'll take the battery to charge. I reckon there'll be a way of powering your light if you really wanted, otherwise you'll just have to stick a conventional battery powered one on.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't understand why that should be lighter.
the HL controller and the cables weigh 417grs.
SWXK front motor: 3kgs
Battery: 3kgs
LCD.

total : about 6.5kgs

Don't forget you lose the front dynamo so the net difference is about 6kgs like I said.