Newbie need help

seanyt0213

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2020
Hi guys so please bare with me, I've had mountain bikes all my life and my little boy loves going on bike rides I currently have a Saracen AWOL 26" which I've had a while. I used it to get back and to from work aswell out but I lost my job due to covid any how I have managed to get a new job starting in mid December and I only have one chance of doing this I know I don't have much space on the bike but it's all I have so I need it to work I have spoken to a company and they have said the ebike kit I need is Voilamart 1000W Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit Rear Wheel EBike LCD Meter 26" I just need to know is it right because I can only get it a few days before I start my new job and the reason I need it is because it's 23 mile round trip to my new job and 18 miles of this will be down a canal path, plus the local bike repair guy has said it would take two days to fit and £200 not quite sure it should take that long but people and help and advise will be great thank you

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
IMHO, that won't be a good kit for the job. I doubt that thebattery will get you there and back unless you spend £400+ on the battery. You'd be better off with a normal 250w geared motor kit.

If you can afford it, the Woosh 48v SWX02 kit would be a good choice, then there are various offerings from Yosepiwer on Ebay or direct from their German warehouse that are fairly cheap.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi guys so please bare with me, I've had mountain bikes all my life and my little boy loves going on bike rides I currently have a Saracen AWOL 26" which I've had a while. I used it to get back and to from work aswell out but I lost my job due to covid any how I have managed to get a new job starting in mid December and I only have one chance of doing this I know I don't have much space on the bike but it's all I have so I need it to work I have spoken to a company and they have said the ebike kit I need is Voilamart 1000W Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit Rear Wheel EBike LCD Meter 26" I just need to know is it right because I can only get it a few days before I start my new job and the reason I need it is because it's 23 mile round trip to my new job and 18 miles of this will be down a canal path, plus the local bike repair guy has said it would take two days to fit and £200 not quite sure it should take that long but people and help and advise will be great thank you
Sadly, it will be considered completely illegal for anyone in either the UK or the EU.
Though some do not let that bother them in the slightest apparently.
250 Watt is the legal max allowed in many countries.
Whether you will get caught and prosecuted, especially if you observe the maximum speed limits for e-bikes with battery power, is considered by many to be unlikely.
Drawing attention to yourself by riding through red lights and the like, is a bad idea for anyone, but with a 1000 Watt motor, you might be drawing unnecessary attention to yourself.
Also using the throttle and not pedaling, yet still exceeding the 15 MPH max speed for an e-bike, is another way to bring unwanted attention to yourself!

But at the end of the day, it's your personal choice either way......though with some makes, the guarantee is not worth the paper its printed on, and some manufacturers will not sell private persons any spare parts, all work must be done by the manufacturer!

Pedelec is a great source of information, use it carefully, make notes and do not let anyone mislead you.....as if they are wrong, you will be the one who is out of pocket, with huge regrets.....not them!!

E-biking is fantastic, and whatever you buy (I recommend a standard rear Hub version, cheaper and definitely more reliable and easier to repair yourself, that many mid motor bikes).
You can buy two standard rear hub bikes, with all the extras, for the price of an average mid motor bike, thus having ALL the spare parts AND a second battery for those long runs!!

Do make sure that the battery is easily swapped on the road, without tools, because some bikes are REALLY difficult on that score....therefore no point in having two batteries unless they are easy to swap!!!

regards and best wishes.

Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This one with their £187 48v battery would be good and cheap.

What gears do you have on the back of your bike? That determines what type of motor to get.

This one has the desirable KT controller, so is worth paying a bit extra for. 36v 250w or 350w version.

Reactions: seanyt0213

seanyt0213

Nov 20, 2020
Sadly, it will be considered completely illegal for anyone in either the UK or the EU.
Though some do not let that bother them in the slightest apparently.
250 Watt is the legal max allowed in many countries.
Whether you will get caught and prosecuted, especially if you observe the maximum speed limits for e-bikes with battery power, is considered by many to be unlikely.
Drawing attention to yourself by riding through red lights and the like, is a bad idea for anyone, but with a 1000 Watt motor, you might be drawing unnecessary attention to yourself.
Also using the throttle and not pedaling, yet still exceeding the 15 MPH max speed for an e-bike, is another way to bring unwanted attention to yourself!

But at the end of the day, it's your personal choice either way......though with some makes, the guarantee is not worth the paper its printed on, and some manufacturers will not sell private persons any spare parts, all work must be done by the manufacturer!

Pedelec is a great source of information, use it carefully, make notes and do not let anyone mislead you.....as if they are wrong, you will be the one who is out of pocket, with huge regrets.....not them!!

E-biking is fantastic, and whatever you buy (I recommend a standard rear Hub version, cheaper and definitely more reliable and easier to repair yourself, that many mid motor bikes).
You can buy two standard rear hub bikes, with all the extras, for the price of an average mid motor bike, thus having ALL the spare parts AND a second battery for those long runs!!

Do make sure that the battery is easily swapped on the road, without tools, because some bikes are REALLY difficult on that score....therefore no point in having two batteries unless they are easy to swap!!!

regards and best wishes.

Andy
Cheers Andy I didn't really know what I was looking for I just looked on eBay and asked the company which kits would be suitable and they came back with a couple this was the cheapest

Reactions: Andy-Mat

seanyt0213

Nov 20, 2020
This one with their £187 48v battery would be good and cheap.

What gears do you have on the back of your bike? That determines what type of motor to get.

This one has the desirable KT controller, so is worth paying a bit extra for. 36v 250w or 350w version.
[/QUOTE

Thank you for your suggestions so I have uploaded a pic do you think any of them kits you suggested would be ok again tha k you for all your help I'm literally new to all this and trying to figure it out lol

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Cheers Andy I didn't really know what I was looking for I just looked on eBay and asked the company which kits would be suitable and they came back with a couple this was the cheapest
Good that you came here and asked. As mentioned above it is a battery eater, so it would not have ended up cheap when you factor in a big battery. If you look on the forum you will find lots of people with regrets about getting those big direct drive motors, quite apart from the legal angle.

Good luck choosing something (Woosh mentioned above well recommended but out of stock of many kits), and with your new job.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your photo id from too far away for me to see clearly, but it looks like 8 speed free-hub gears, which means that you need a cassette motor unless you want to go down to 7-speed, so back the Woosh kit or one of these:

Last edited:

seanyt0213

Nov 20, 2020
Sorry mate I just counted them there is 7 gear changes on the back, sorry about the bad picture

seanyt0213

Nov 20, 2020
Is there something extra I need to get if I have hydrolic disc brakes some one said on a review for a kit they don't work I have tektro 0h, I'm sorry I feel so out my comfort zone trying to get the right kit Amazon say there kits fit all 26" but I can't see it and eBay is in my price range I know they don't come with bsttery
My bike is Saracen AWOL if that's any good
Thank you for helping me

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Show a photo of your bike because there are different versions and frame sizes. Battery installation is probably going to take a bit of lateral thinking.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'd get another bike to use as a donor - any one with a triangle frame and disc brakes. I've done one similar to that before putting the battery on a cantilever rack behind the seat. It was OK, but the handling is never as good like that because you have to have the battery extra high to clear the suspension. Also, you need a steel rack, and they're not easy to find. The normal aluminium ones would snap suddenly at some time in the future.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It was meant to warn you of some of the dangers associated with e-biking. Replacing wheels with electric ones, on a frame never intended to have such a motor, is not a way I would go myself. It can go well of course.
Furthermore, at least some of these owners of such conversions, land up here with problems.
I cannot even guess at how many never get fixed, sorry. But just one a year might be considered too many by some, especially if its you, as being one too many.
Starting with an e-bike frame, designed to handle the weights and stresses, is a better way to go I feel.
But as I mentioned before, please do what you want, but only after some weeks of good research.
regards and best wishes - let us all know how you get on.
Andy